Chapter 11

I don't assign any work for Rion to do during history. Instead, I give him a couple textbooks about the world wars and tell him to study for the museum trip. Rion's voice is still kind of dry, so I don't try to talk to him much. The period passes by swiftly, and soon, the hallways fill with people. I stand and head down the hallway. Rion is already lost in the crowd, and I can only hope he'll show up after school. Yesterday, the bell interrupted my convincing him, so I can only assume he won't, but that's alright. I have a game plan, and it may or may not involve me waiting near his truck until football practice ends.

I step out of the school with my headphones around my neck and my heart thrumming with nervousness. I'm not used to meeting up with people after school, especially people who don't like me. Maybe I'm also feeling this way because it's Rion I'm waiting on.

I spot his stupid, obnoxious truck parked in a row of similarly stupid, obnoxious rich-kid cars. There's a couple Jeeps and a Tesla nearby. I meander down the sidewalk, pulling my phone out and pretending to busy myself. It'll be easier while everyone else is gone, but for now, I'm reduced to an awkward bystander, occasionally looking up to see how many people have left. In the meantime, I start looking up the links to some potential sources for my essay, since I have nothing better to do.

Eventually, about a half hour later, the parking lot is completely empty save for the cars around Rion. I wander over and look around, making sure no one is nearby. I hear the faint sounds of movement in the field, but apart from that, it's dead. I put a hand in my pocket and lean against the front grill of his truck.

As my battery drains and time goes by, I begin to feel bored, so I text Tao. He responds immediately and we get to talking. Apparently, his bus is being delayed by traffic, so he's just as bored as me.

"Dude, what the fuck?"

I look up. Rion is standing in front of me with his bag on his shoulder. Behind him, a bunch of boys push each other around. I am suddenly rather scared and stare back like an idiot.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Waiting for you...?"

One of the boys stops and scoffs, "Someone going on a date?"

Rion doesn't even blink. "Shut the fuck up, Trevor."

Trevor slithers away, his friends patting him on the back semi-empathetically. Rion fishes for something in his pocket and pulls out a key fob. His truck clicks once. He brushes past me. "Get in."

I go to the passenger side and open the door, holding my backpack by one strap. It's a step up, and I use the handle to hurl myself in, tossing my backpack in the back row. Rion slams his door and jabs the button to start the engine. It purrs to life, so powerful I almost feel the seat vibrate underneath me. Rion throws his backpack behind him and puts his hand on the gear shift, jamming it into reverse.

"You know what was fucking awesome?" He puts his hand on the back of my seat to reverse, ignoring the camera that comes onto the screen. "My life before I met you."

"I think you need to learn your priorities."

"Yeah, I have no priorities anymore except the shit you give me."

I smile.

He retracts his arm and turns the wheel to straighten the truck. He heads down the parking lot, slowing to let a stray boy pass. There's silence for a moment as he focuses on the turn into the road. Then, he says, "You're lucky I know where the museum is. I wouldn't be driving you if I didn't."

"So that means we're going?"

"Yes," he grits out. "Just don't take too long. I need to study."

"You're strangely accepting of this whole tutoring thing."