In The Stillness Of Remembering

North Hollywood, California
Friday, April 18, 1997
(12:00 pm)
********************

"Can we leave this fan on?"

Christine had been complaining about the heat of the building since the five members of Fleetwood Mac had been seated on the rehearsal stage for their interview. She sat beside John in a folding chair, fussing with her hair again and looking around for someone to answer her about the fan staying on for the heat. Two different men answered, and it seemed like the answer was no. Mick offered, "Probably bad for the sound, eh?"

"It's not helping me, anyway," said Lindsey, who stood right behind Stevie. Because she was the shortest member of the band by far at five-foot-one, the people in charge had propped her up on a large red equipment case to sit. Lindsey was behind her to her left, Mick behind her to her right, and seated next to him were Christine and John. John looked like he would rather be anywhere else, Stevie thought, but then again, that was John McVie for you - always just a little bit checked out whenever they were together.

"Not helping you anyway," Christine mused, and then she said, "I shouldn't have said anything." She saw with a look of disappointment that the fan was already being turned off. Her attentions turned to the camera then, and she turned to Lindsey, whose view of the lens was clearer than hers where he stood. "Is that camera high up enough? Is it doing its thing?"

Mick volunteered the answer, saying, "I saw the shot, and it's.." but Stevie, who needed three tries to cut in, finished the answer for him.

"It's not high up to me; I'm looking right in that camera," Stevie explained, hoping everyone meant that if she was the smallest person there and sitting down, that no, the camera was not high up enough.

"Seems A-okay to me," Mick said, sounding a bit exasperated, but Lindsey tapped her on the shoulder, volunteering his own idea.

"Do you want someone else to check it out? You worried?"

"Yeah." She could feel Mick behind her, growing slightly upset at the fact that Lindsey hadn't taken his word for it.

"Lindsey..." That came from Mick. Stevie was already upset with him for his comment about her shoes earlier that day, but she chose to ignore it.

"Who do you want to check it out?" Lindsey had tapped her again. He was standing only about an inch or two away from her, and she breathed a sigh of relief that he had listened to her last night when she'd asked him to stay close to her today in case she was nervous. He had been nothing but attentive all day...even if that was making Mick upset. Don't think I didn't notice you swooping in to stand next to me in the pictures, Mick, she thought. It's almost like you were deliberately trying to separate me from my husband! Jesus Christ, is this 1977? But instead of focusing on that, Stevie was interested in the camera issue at hand.

"Kim," she said, pointing at the woman who'd set up the shot. She called out, "Kim, look through that thing and see if that camera's high enough."

"We're still worried about some nostril shots here," Mick teased, and Christine burst into laughter. The interview was about to start, and everyone stopped fussing about camera lenses and fans.

"So how many days has it been?" the man doing the interview asked. "At this point, how many days is it since you've been working together?"

"This particular time?" Christine asked, and Stevie thought that was an odd answer. "About three...three weeks, is it?" She looked towards Stevie for confirmation.

Stevie counted the days off on her fingers. "Five, ten...thirteen days," she said.

"Any to what do we owe the pleasure? Does the Twister soundtrack get any credit for this?"