oo Chapter Three oo

MARC

Glancing at the calendar, I press my lips together. I should just let Steven front. Not that he would have any idea what day it was. He would assume it's Friday. Miss the entire event and not go.

Glancing at the fish, I grabbed the food, tossing the flakes in. How much do you even feed them? I decide to cover the top of the water. It should be fine.

I can't believe you're going to that worm's exhibit.

I look to the corner of the room where Khonshu is sulking. Turning away from Khonshu, I fix my cap, knowing I need to get Steven a card. He won't know it's from himself. No one pays attention to me when I go in. I'm usually fast. But this exhibit. What's so important about this exhibit that Steven wants to go to? I notice he has Martin's @ 4pm after the exhibit. Him and his stupid vegan diet. I hope they have meat there.

Zipping up my jacket... our jacket... I made sure the keys were in the pocket before I left the small apartment. Khonshu is grumbling behind about 'the worm.' As long as Steven doesn't ask questions, I won't have to intervene.

Walking through the streets of London, I keep my head down, making sure to scan my surroundings. It's not that important to do. Not yet anyway. I killed everyone from Khonshu's last mission, but I'm nowhere closer to knowing the whereabouts of the Scarab.

Lifting my head, I spot the steps of the museum. Steven should be grateful I even showed up for some stupid exhibit. I notice the banners sporting the Greek exhibits reopening. Only a few people passing me were discussing how they were excited to see the tour guide again. Again? I glance over at Khonshu. He appears bored. Khonshu starts walking up the steps before he vanishes.

Tucking my hands in my pants pockets, I followed the group of people, tucking my head so the guard didn't notice my face. The group builds around me and I'm glad to have coverage. I scan the crowd, looking for any form of threat. There is none.

A woman is smiling at people. A mic is attached to her shirt. I tilt my head, noticing the ring on her hand. My eyes instantly go to my right hand. Steven seems fond of this ring. The rings match. The red center is so thin around the silver it's barely visible. This new knowledge isn't good. Is she why Steven wanted to come here?

She looks frail. Her skin is the same color as tawny, her hair is in braids, the curves in her body are similar to a pear... and she's stunning.

I pause on my steps, seeing her watching me. She waves, smiling in my direction. My eyebrows furrow. What is she to Steven? She steps in front of the group before clasping her hands behind her, tilting back on her hands. I notice she keeps glancing in my direction every so often.

Her knowledge of Greece is surprisingly interesting. I glance up at the statues. They seem in great care. Her love for ancient Greek culture is just like Steven's stupid obsession with Egyptian culture. Given we... I'm working for Khonshu, who is an Egyptian God, not that I give a shit, until I pay off my debt to him, I find his obsession to be weird. Until then, I serve Khonshu and I won't let him touch Layla. My wife.

She's watching us again.

I feel uneasy about Khonshu's voice being so close to me in a room full of people. Not that anyone can hear him. It's only me and my stupid mind.

I scan the room before spotting him perched on a statue's shoulder. I don't recognize the goddess. No one seems to. And no one seems to ask. The guide appears to be waiting for anyone to chime in on the statue.

Oh, what the hell. I give a once over for Steven's manager. Nowhere in sight. Great.

"Whose statue is that?"