hanni › dance with me

"Ella and Nina. Sunyoung and Jiyun. Gio and Jisung. Lastly, Hanni and Y/N." Mrs. Woo listed off everyone's names, listing the pairings for this semester's very first dance project.

You scanned the studio room, looking for your partner, Hanni Pham. You've talked to her a couple of times, but no more than that because you were admittedly a little intimidated by her. She's one of the strongest dancers and performers in her grade (which is a grade higher than yours), and for that, you admire her a lot.

Everyone dispersed into their pairings, meanwhile you remained sitting in your original spot, unintentionally spacing out.

It wasn't until you felt a hand on your knee that you snapped out of it and looked up. Sitting in front of you was Hanni, and she was giving you a friendly smile. Your cheeks flushed in embarrassment that she had caught you like that, but you brushed it aside and spoke up.

"Hi- Uhm, it's- it's nice to meet you, Hanni. I'm Y/N." You held your hand out for her to shake, which she did, even letting her hand linger for a little longer than needed, making your insides feel fuzzy.

She looked at you with an unrecognizable glint in her eyes.

"It's nice to meet you too, Y/N. I'm Hanni. I hope we can work well together." She smiled.

👥

The sky was a pretty blue and the air was cold and nipping at your skin as you exited the school and made your way to the bus lot, ready to go home, do your homework, and relax.

But then you heard your name being called.

"Y/N!"

You turned around, only to see Hanni running up to you. She came to a halt in front of you, offering you a small smile as she held her phone out to you. You saw on the screen that it was on a new contact profile.

"I was wondering if I could get your number?" She asked, biting her bottom lip nervously.

You, just as nervously, smiled back at her and took the phone into your trembling hands, giving her a small nod. After putting in your number and calling it so that you could later save it on your own phone, you handed the device back to Hanni, who was just barely containing a squeal.

"Thank you! So, uhm, I'll catch you later?" She asked expectantly.

You giggled and nodded. "Definitely."

👥

It was now the next day, or rather the end of the next day. School just got out and now you're making your way up the flight of stairs leading to the dance studio. Your dance teacher agreed to let you both use the room on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so now you would be meeting up to have two-hour sessions on those days, and then on Wednesdays and Fridays, you would practice at your place and Hanni's place, respectively.

Upon slowly opening the door and entering the room, you realized that there was no one in the studio yet. It was just you.

So you decided to go ahead and stretch. About halfway through the stretching routine was when the door opened once more, and in walked Hanni, skin flushed and breathing heavily.

You shot up and walked over to her, looking at her with concern. "A-Are you okay? Is something wrong?" You asked worriedly.

She shook her head quickly while inhaling large intakes of air. "No- No. I just- Damn. I just ran- I ran here because I- I didn't want you to be all alone up here."

I ran here because I didn't want you to be all alone up here. Those words unexpectedly made your heart flutter in your chest, causing your own cheeks to flush red, matching hers.

She gave you a smile before setting her bag down walking to the center of the room to begin stretching, beckoning you over to do the same.

👥

It's been an hour since you've both started working on the project. The project is that you have to choose a song and choreograph a dance routine for at least half of the song, or the entire thing if you really want to. You spent the first twenty minutes of the session deciding on what song you wanted to do and how much of it you wanted to do (you settled on doing the whole thing, seeing as you have three weeks to complete it, plus an extra week if needed). And for the last thirty minutes, you've been brainstorming ideas for the choreography and recording them on your phones.

💽 : The song of choice was ... 🥁🥁🥁 ... ITZY's WANNABE !

The only problem was that you were currently struggling to do a move that Hanni wanted to use in the dance. You couldn't get it at all, and you didn't want to ask for help just yet, although you knew you needed it.

Hanni watched you from the corner of her eyes, worried that you might strain yourself or get hurt from trying so hard to do the difficult move. When she saw that you were beginning to get frustrated, she decided to finally step in.

She came up behind you. It took you by surprise when you felt hands on your shoulders and a voice behind you.

"Let me help you a little bit." Hanni said. You held your breath as your cheeks burned pink.

She moved your shoulders in the motions that she came up with for the song's intro. A few minutes later, she was finished running you through the dance and was giving you the last counts for the hip movements.

"One, and two, and three, and four, and five, and six, and seven, and eight. Like that. Okay, now try it on your own." She said, letting go afterwards.

You took a quick breath before slowly walking through the movements, hoping that there would be some improvement. You grinned when Hanni did, as she looked at with fondness in her eyes.

You got excited and clapped your hands, throwing your arms around her neck as you felt a rush of adrenaline. You squealed happily.

Then, it went silent. A few beats passed before the realization hit you.

"Shit." You were about to let go of her, but froze in your movements when you felt her arms wrap around your waist and hug you tightly. You looked at her and saw that she still had a smile on her face, only softer this time.

She brought a hand up and patted the back of your head gently.

"Let's continue, shall we?"