Chapter Two

The party was in full swing. People dancing and laughing under the many hanging lanterns. The only thing that seemed to be missing was the birthday boy.

Walking around, Annabelle spoke to many different people; catching up and surprisingly making new friends. Who would have thought that after living in the village all her life she wouldn't know some of the girls?

"Anna-poo!" Annabelle cringed. Only one person called her that wretched name, and that was the one girl Annabelle absolutely does not get along with.

Sophie.

With her sun-blonde hair and her nasal voice, Sophie was not an easy person to miss. Or one to ignore. Considered as the popular girl at school, she could build someone up so high one second, and make them come crashing down the next. Whenever she talked to someone, she demanded their full attention or she would make them the laughing stock of the week. No one was safe from her wrath.

Not even the daughter of the chief.

Dodging people left and right to make her way to Annabelle, Sophie waved her hand frantically trying to gain her attention.

Annabelle mustered all the fake enthusiasm she could. "Sophie!" She stretched out her arms and awkwardly gave the blond a hug.

"Oh, Anna-poo, I'm so happy that your brother's coming back." I bet you are. "Do you know when he'll be here?"

"I don't know, he didn't say; he just said he'd be here."

Sophie's happy expression faltered and a fake smile appeared. "Oh. Well, if you see him, tell him I'm waiting. He'll know what it means." Giving a haughtier smirk she left Annabelle there, stunned by her audacity to say that.

What. A. Slut.

Having no clue over what just happened, Annabelle shook her head and walked to the refreshment table. How Sophie ever made it in school she will never know. She probably slept with the teachers. Shaking that thought away, Annabelle took a sip of her drink.

"Well, well, well. What have we got here? Little Annabelle is drinking alcohol?" Said a voice behind her.

Turning around she saw a man with short black hair with a bit of stubble on his chin. The strongest features were his brown eyes and strong jaw. Dressed in an emerald green dress shirt and black slacks, she guessed he had just come from an important business deal.

It was him. Alec.

Annabelle screeched with surprise and excitement and threw her arms around her brother. He caught her with the same amount of eagerness and returned his sister's hug.

She huffed and pushed away, her hands now on her hips. "Where have you been, mister?" A scowl made its way onto her face.

Holding his hands up in mock surrender he answered, "Here and there," he smirked.

"Evasive, are we?"

Alec's left eyebrow went up. "No, just wanting to keep my business to myself," he defended.

"Mm hm." She wasn't convinced.

"I'll explain soon. For now just wait." He reassured her with a light kiss to her forehead.

As he made his way towards the stage, Anabelle recalled what Sophie had told her. "Oh, Alec?" He stopped and looked back at her. "Sophie said she's waiting."

He visibly paled, eyes going wide, and looking slightly nervous. "Th-thanks . . ." He spun back around and continued on his way through the crowd.

Strange.