A First Encounter

A/N: ok, so this is my first "normal" story with absolutely no paranormal activity, no mafias, just a regular high school love story. Please comment!

Ellie’s POV

I remember the day they diagnosed me with the stupid disease. Of course, we'd already known, I mean, the blood was kind of a dead give away. My parents have kept me out of society, hoping it will get better but I've finally convinced them to let me go to high school for my junior and senior year. Finally! My first school since the fourth grade. I can't wait. I get up early to pick out my clothes. I decide on a pair of grey jeggings, my white Paramore concert t-shirt, and black high top converse, putting a small, black, clip-in bow in my long curly/wavy strawberry blonde hair. I walk into my bathroom and put on some mascara and lip-gloss after brushing my teeth. I don't look half bad.

I suddenly go into a huge coughing fit and, using my awesome reflexes, grab a bunch of tissues, and cough into that. When it's over, I pull it away and grimace at the blood. I pray to God that I don't start coughing during class. I will like, cry! Ok, not literally but still.

            “Honey! Time to go!” I brush my teeth once more; grab my red and black plaid backpack, heading down the stairs. My mother takes one look at me and knows what happened. “Have another coughing fit?” I nod. She looks worried. “Honey, maybe we should wait another year or so.” I roll my eyes and grab a bagel with cream cheese and brown sugar.

            “Mom, no. I need to do this. I love you.” I kiss my mother on the cheek and head out the door, yelling bye over my shoulder, making it to the bus stop just in time. The bus driver gives me a strange look

            “Never seen you before. What’s your name?” I smile.

            “I’m Ellie. It’s my first year.” The large man smiles.

            “Well, nice to meet you, Ellie.” I nod and go look for a seat. Everyone puts there books on the seat next to them, probably reserving them for friends, except one girl towards the back. She looks nice.

            “Um, hi. Is someone sitting here?” She looks up at me and shakes her head no, smiling.

            “Not at all! I’m Sarah.”

            “Ellie.” Before the bus ride was over, we’d already figured out that we were going to be best friends, had inside jokes, and she gave me the low down on everybody except…

            “Who’s he?” I ask, pointing to a lone figure in the back. He’s good looking. Blonde, shaggy, hair that looks, honest to God, like Jason Dolley! Bright blue eyes, kinda tan, muscled, and totally gorgeous.

            “Oh, that’s Jason.” What’d I say? “He doesn’t talk to anyone, never smiles, only the occasional smirk, but he’s super smart.” I tilt my head. Never smiles? How do you do that?

            “Huh. Weird.” In the back of my mind I hear Sarah chattering on about her boyfriend and how great he is and how much I’m gonna love him, but I barely hear her. It’s then that I make up my mind to change this boy. It’s just not healthy to never be happy. I wonder what happened to him?

Jason’s POV

            “Never seen you before. What’s your name?” I hear Rick ask. I look up at the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. Her long hair in waves the color of copper and gold, skin white but not porcelain.

            “I’m Ellie. It’s my first year.” So, her name’s Ellie. She starts walking down the aisle to find a seat, but none of the jerks in this school let her… of course. Sarah’s more than willing to scoot over. In no time at all, that Ellie girl will be a Barbie doll. I don’t have anything against her, but come on. Anyone as cheery as Sarah is just trouble. I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up. We pull up to the school, and I wait till everyone’s off as always, to find Sarah and Ellie still here too. I look over when I hear someone coughing, like, a lot. Ellie’s doubled over. I hear her mutter out something that sounds like,

            “Tissues. Please.” Sarah immediately grabs the tissues sticking out of Ellie’s bag and gives them to her. Ellie nods and coughs into them. When the fit is over, she folds up the tissue and exits the bus looking over her shoulder at me. There’s something red on her lips. She licks her lips and smiles. I just grab my black backpack and get off the bus. When I’m in the school, it seems she’s everywhere. We’re in five of the same classes, and we’re on the same bus. Only thing is, she gets on after me and off before me. We even have the same lunch period! I can’t get away from this girl! I go sit at my table; I get the whole thing to myself. A week things go on like this, I don't talk to her, she doesn't talk to me. So what did I do to make her think it's okay for her to sit with me?

            “Hi.” She smiles. I nod to her. “Umm, is anyone sitting here?” She asks, biting her lip. I shrug and shake my head. She takes that as a, 'Sure you can sit down! Why don’t we swap life stories?' kinda thing. “So, what’s your name?” I look at her, one eyebrow raised. “Right. Well, I’m Ellie. I know we have a lot of the same classes so I thought I’d come and say hi, kind of get to know each other a little…” And while we’re at it, why don’t we become best friends and have slumber parties? I think not. After a bit of an awkward silence, she starts eating as an excuse to not talk. I eat to so it’s not as awkward. I sneak glances at her, and she’s staring at me curiously. “Well, I guess I’ll let you eat.” She starts to get up but, before I know it, I reach out and grab her wrist.

            “No!" She looks at me, more than shocked. "You can... stay... if you want.” I say nervously. I don't want to come off as a total jerk like the other guys at this school. She smiles at me again, and I drop her hand. She sits down and starts talking again. I almost smirk at her constant chatter, but think better of it. No doubt Sarah’s told her all about me. But, if she knows, then… why is she here?

            “Hey! Did you, um, did you wanna come over today? I’ve got Call of Duty and stuff like that, we can order pizza…” She trails off. She wants me to come over? Why? No! I can’t get close to another girl… not again. Without thinking about it, I feel my head nodding yes. Her smile widens and lunch is over. She talks the whole way to her locker. I already have my books with me so I just walk with her to her locker to get her stuff. Just so it's not like I'm being rude of course. We both have Language Arts next so I just walk with her. The few people remaining in the halls give us strange looks that I just ignore. It’s not like I’m going out with her. We’re not even friends. A few doors away, she starts coughing a little but holds in the rest.

            “Oh, no.” She whispers so I can’t hear. But I can. “Not now!” She goes into another coughing fit and walks over to a garbage can. I hold her hair back rubbing her back, thinking she’s going to throw up, but all she does is cough. She throws her hands over her mouth. When she stands up, she looks up at me- I’m like nine inches taller- with tears in her eyes. “I… I’m sorry.” She says looking around. She leans on the wall and slides to the floor, fists clenched, but I still see something red coming out. I slide down next to her, determined not to care. I grab her hand and she yanks it away. A napkin flies to us in the wind. She grabs it and wipes her hands throwing it away in the trash. I stand up and help her up. Then I pick up her books and give them to her before picking up mine. She smiles sadly at me. I shrug and we continue to class. We’re late but no one really cares. We take the two seats in the back and everything goes normal again. I’m actually kind of not totally dreading going to her house.