Chapter 7: The Rose

Tower of Dove Chapter 7: The Rose

Lilyana woke before the sun rose, as she often did, but this time she didn’t immediately begin her day. She stayed in bed, curled up into the nest of silky blankets and pillows she had made. The early morning air which drifted through her open balcony was cool, evidence of the coming autumn.

She trained her eyes on the floral patterns of the covers she lay beneath. They were mostly carnations, roses, and tulips, but she noticed a lone white daisy in the dim light. She blushed and buried her face in her pillow. Embarrassed. That’s what she was feeling. Embarrassed, yet . . . happy. She bit her lip against a smile.

She didn’t move for a long time, not until she heard her door open and light footsteps tap across her polished wood floor. Posy must have come to check on her.

“Lilyana, are you not feeling well?” the child asked.

Lilyana peeked out of the covers to see Posy looking at her, concern and curiosity toying in her eyes. Her hair had a braid which looped across the top of her head in place of a hair band, keeping her dark locks off of her face. It looked so pretty.

“Did you do your hair yourself?” Lilyana asked, ignoring the previous question.

Posy pulled the covers off of her and nodded. “Yes, I did. Mama showed me how, but sister, you never stay in bed this late.”

Lilyana’s brow wrinkled as she sat up straight. “What time is it?”

“A quarter past ten.”

She blinked. “Oh. I was just up late, I suppose.”

“Where were you?”

Posy was looking at her with a little bit more than innocent curiosity, and it made Lilyana uneasy. She couldn’t tell her sister what had happened. She wasn’t even sure herself what had happened. She knew it was important, but maybe it was a mistake . . . no, at that thought, she found herself wanting to deny it had been wrong. It hadn’t been. It had been right, and that scared her at the same time it made her blush.

When she didn’t speak, Posy said, “You’ll tell me when you’re ready, correct?”

Lilyana sighed. “Correct.”

“Okay. Now, get up. Miette will be here soon.” Posy ushered her out of bed and began to fix the sheets and covers.

“Posy, that’s the maid’s chore. Leave it,” Lilyana said as she took the few short steps to her walk-in closet. Her wardrobe was excessive and required my rows of hangers. She had never wanted so many clothes, but her mother had insisted, although half of the things she had only ever worn once. It was such a waste. The mirror which covered the back wall frustrated her as well, mostly because she didn’t like her reflection. Whenever she saw herself, she couldn’t help but think of how bitter she looked.

“Ms. Corine works hard,” Posy called back, “so I can do this for her.”

Lilyana smiled at Posy’s simple kindness and tied the lace on the green dress she had chosen to wear. The maid would be happy to find the large bed already made.

She stepped out of her closet and moved to the vanity. Her hair was frizzy and tangled as usual. She didn’t feel like fixing it, though, so she left it as it was and ignored the make up her mother had bought her. Makeup made her face itchy.

When she turned around, Posy was giving her a patronizing look. Lilyana fluttered her eyelids, faking innocence. “What?”

“Your hair, it’s a wreck.”

“So?”

Posy sighed and shook her head. She wordlessly took Lilyana’s hand and sat her down at the vanity, and then she disappeared into the bathroom. She returned a moment later with a silver pot of water and a brush.