Chapter 8: The Librarian

Stephen woke up feeling rejuvenated. He had produced magic the day before and was ready to do it again. Stephen remembered he had books to return from his time on his tour. Mordo let him pick out a few books for a trial. Retracing his steps, he found the library. When he wheeled in, he was greeted by the smell of ancient books. Not a pleasant smell.

"Who goes there?" a voice boomed. Stephen looked around and saw a man holding a book.

"My name is Stephen Strange. I just started learning here. Who are you?" Stephen asked, wheeling up to the man.

"Wong," his voice boomed.

"Just Wong? Like...Adele? Or...Aristotle. Drake. Eminem?" Stephen replied.

"Mr. Strange, what do you need?"

"I wanted to return these books," he said, placing the ones from his lap into Wong's outstretched hands. Wong raised an eyebrow.

"The Book of the Invisible Sun, Astronomia Nova, Codex Imperium, Key of Solomon. You finished all these?" Wong asked him.

"Yes."

"Come with me," Wong said, as started to walk toward the back of the library. Stephen followed closely behind. Stephen wheeled under a small arched doorway. He saw even more books, but they looked older and thicker.

"Normally, this section is for masters only. But, at my discretion, others may use it. Hows your Sanskrit, Mr. Strange?" Wong asked as he picked up some books.

"I'm fluent in Google Translate," Stephen told him.

"Classical Sanskrit," Wong said, as he handed Stephen the stack of books from his hands. Stephen put his books in his lap with one hand on it. The other was helping him move his wheelchair. He wheeled up to a shelf that had locked books.

"What are these?" he asked.

"The Ancient One's private collection," Wong answered.

"So, they're forbidden?"

"No knowledge in Kamar-Taj is forbidden. Only certain practices." Stephen grabbed a stick that was on the side of the bookcase. With a swift motion, he swatted at an unlocked book. The book fell straight into his hands. He opened it.

"Hey," he started, "This one has missing pages."

"Yes," Wong said, taking the book from Stephen's unwilling hands. "They were stolen by a former master."

"Who was the master?" Stephen asked. Wong sighed. He put the book back in its place and locked it.

"His name was Kaecilius," Wong told Stephen.

"What did he take?"

"The rituals of Cagliostro."

"Right," Stephen said, confused.

"Kaecilius took a handful of his students and the ritual. He beheaded the old librarian too. Now, I'm the master of these books. If anyone were to steal, I would know it." Wong looked at Stephen.

"Well, nice knowing you. I will take those books and start learning Sanskrit," Stephen said, as he took the books. He started to wheel out of the library and back to his room. "Who are you?" he thought, as he wheeled through the ancient building. "Kaecilius."