The First Time We Showered Together

• Dedicated to Chloe

It was the first Saturday in September when we moved into our new flat. Zoe, my flatmate from the previous year was only moving some of her stuff in, as she was going on holiday for several weeks. I felt like I had waited a lifetime for this date. Our parents were helping us move in and yet it felt like Chloe parents were there forever, I wanted and needed them to leave so that we could be alone. I sat patiently in my room, after having forced my dad to leave an hour previously, my leg was shaking but I wasn’t nervous, I was excited.

As soon as Chloe’s parents left she ran into my room gleefully. We sat on my new king-size bed, kissing, aggressively, showing each other the passion which we were feeling. I felt the spit transfer from her mouth into mine; this was the part that I didn’t enjoy. But I let it happen anyway.

Chloe pushed me away after only 10 minutes of this. She told me that we needed to wait; at least until we had been shopping for food seeing as it was only 3 o’ clock in the afternoon. I was disappointed, but today needed to be special; I wanted to remember it for the rest of my life, I wanted it to be the start of the rest of my life.

Several days earlier, we had made a pact. I promised that I would end my cutting habit of 8 months, but only if she did too. I told her that I refused to have sex with her if she had any fresh cuts. She had only been cutting for 2 weeks and I don’t think she understood the sacrifice which I was making.

Chloe told me that this deal was unfair, but deep down I knew that this was one of the only threats I could make in order for her to stop. Granted I didn’t want to stop pressing blades to my own skin, but I cared too much for Chloe to let this come between us. This weighed heavily on my mind when we moved in, I couldn’t ask her if she had cut because I wanted her to see that I trusted her, but deep down, I have never really trusted anyone.

We spent the rest of the afternoon nervously holding each other’s hand in public, tentatively looking around each corner, ensuring that no one we knew would see us. We ordered pizza and curled up together on our new sofa, I decided not to let myself think about what had previously happened in that exact spot. The television wasn’t distracting us and finally we looked at each other and decided it was time.

We went through the kitchen, to the bathroom (student flats have a strange layout), grabbing the bleach on the way. We needed to clean the bath; I dreaded to think about the germs which could be lurking unseen in there. I scrubbed as hard as I could and then we started to run the water. I told Chloe that I was going to go and get myself ready; she too headed towards her bedroom. I removed my clothes, my door slightly ajar, hoping that my new girlfriend had adopted a peeping Tom habit. She hadn’t. I covered my naked body in my dressing gown, the breeze felt weird on my exposed skin; I had never expressed a naked desire before this summer and so I was nervous for this change in practice.

I went to check on the bath, the condensation had steamed up the mirror; I didn’t get my wanted last chance to check whether I was presentable enough.  It was too late; Chloe entered the bathroom and halted the water flow of the tap. We looked at each other, I was more nervous now than I had been earlier, I hoped that she was too, but she looked relaxed and she was smirking at me. I didn’t want to be the first to remove my dressing gown, or as Chloe called it, house coat.

Chloe sighed, noting my hesitation and removed her own covering, my eyes couldn’t focus. I hadn’t seen her naked in a week, it had felt like an eternity. The slight imperfections of her body, being the most beautiful I had seen. Her cuts were no longer fresh, they were ageing and smoothed from healing.

She moved towards me, I had been unaware that I had yet to move in the last minute. She grabbed the cord that was tightly fastened around my waist and untied the knot, which I had haphazardly trusted with my nakedness.

We were both now naked, it was colder than I had expected, but I was so happy. Chloe stepped into the water and sat with her back propped up. It was my turn now. I stepped in, the contrast in temperature taking me by surprise and almost crippling my leg. Chloe giggled, obviously being more aware of the dangers which come from entering a bath unprepared. I finally immersed myself in the water, this was possibly the most uncomfortable bath I had ever experienced, we barely fitted within the confines of the sides. I lay between her legs, my head resting on her chest, I was still uncomfortable and yet I didn’t want to move, I wanted to stay resting here forever.

Chloe asked me if I wanted her breast, we had been exchanging dirty texts this past week, talking about how we would pleasure each other, one idea being that I would suck on her breast and nipple. My mouth, almost like that of an infant, searched for the nipple and I sucked upon it gently, occasionally asking if this was ok and after approval, tightening the grip which my mouth had upon her.

We lay there until the water became cold. Our smiles did not falter; we covered each other in a towel and cuddled to embrace each other’s natural warmth. We drained the bath and turned on the shower, entering into the heat cautiously. Chloe pinned me against the wall of the shower and began kissing me again. I felt her hand move down my body, her fingers tip toeing past my waist. She positioned her fingers on the opening of my vagina and prised apart the skin which was in her way. She entered into me and we were now christening the shower with our love (cliché I know).

She was rough with her hand, her fingers scratching a place which I had previously been unaware of. Her fingers begun to hurt me, I hoped that this would go away and so I allowed her to continue, but when it became too much to bare I traded places with her and made her become the subject of this sexual action. I knew that this was how she liked it, in hindsight we were both as selfish as each other in wanting our own needs satisfied.

I massaged her inside gently, she asked me to make it harder and I pushed my fingers hard into her, she moaned and I worried that I had hurt her. But she asked me to continue, claiming she was fine. I removed my fingers momentarily to become certain of the grip which I had within her and the colour red caught my eye, my hand dripped and the shower water exiting down the plug hole was now stained slightly crimson.

Chloe told me that it didn’t matter, but even so we decided to stop. I was disappointed that we couldn’t go further and allow this moment to be breathless and remembered as amazing. We spent the night cuddled on my bed, naked, touching each other and exploring as we had done on our first night the previous week. Chloe was becoming used to us and our lesbian tendencies; I no longer felt as much hesitation as I had done. I didn’t want to question her feelings too much in case she became over analytical and scared herself. All I knew was that I loved her and I loved what we were doing, even if it was slightly hurting me.