𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙠𝙖𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙣 𝙗𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙤𝙛 𝙡𝙚𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙨.

────────

────────

You just opened the Metkayinan Book of Legends and Myths.

Legend of the Heart of Pamuya.

Page 107.

────────

Pamuya and Puakai were twins. They were the closest sisters in their mother's womb, the closest sisters even after birth, and the closest sisters promised until death had to do them apart. They grew up together and were basically inseparable. Because of tribal warfare that happened often during that time, the twins were forced to split and run away in hopes of escaping and surviving the war. 

As Pamuya was in hiding, news arrived of her sister's passing away. This destroyed Pamuya as her twin was the only family she had, and a lifelong companion of hers. The bonds made between families, friends, and mates serves as a connection between Eywa and her people. Without any connection, the distance between Eywa and the individual continues to grow further and further. In this case, it causes Pamuya to have a series of severe heartaches and shortness of breath. Pamuya begged Eywa to reclaim her heart and her soul once and for all so that the feelings of loneliness and suffering would be no more. By the grace of Eywa, Pamuya was taken up into the afterlife and reunited with her sister forever. Although many believe the condition is fatal, some do believe that it is avoidable as long as Pamuya is able to find another bond, another connection that will bring her closer back to Eywa, whether that connection be through a new found friend or mate. 

Although it is sacred and its use according to the legend is mainly a medicine, most of the Metkayina have only been using Pamuya's heart as a gift from the people on the coronation day of a new Olo'ekytan or Olo'ekyte.