8 (Stars

"I wish you could see the stars here."

"Stars," Matt hesitated. He was previously lost in thought- and quite frankly, the moment -when his funny little brain eventually processed what his boyfriend was saying.

"What are stars?"

He turned his head to face the boy rested next to him. They laid legs intertwined, splayed out over bristly grass. Single threads of Polyester fabric could be heard grazing together in the tranquil quiet. They both seemed to favor human realm clothes over demon robes, though if anyone asked Matt he would deny it.

"Stars are- You don't know?" Gus couldn't help but reach out to touch the other's sharp jawline.

"No, that's why I'm asking-" He smiled.

"I'll show you then." He stood up, offering a hand to Matt. He took it and was hoisted up to where he was standing next to Gus.

Gus cast a spell circle in front of them, the inside twisting into itself with colors of marigold and amethyst. He looked back towards Matt, gesturing in front of him.

"C'mon then, Matty."

Mattholomule hesitated, then reached out to touch the sparkling -what he assumed to be- portal. He'd never been to the human realm before, and had only heard stories of what was to come once he arrived there. His hand slipped through the silky casting. He was engulfed in the spell as he stepped forward, Gus following behind.

Mattholomule opened his pinched eyes, only then realizing he was holding his breath.

A circle of trees surrounded a clearing in front of them. Gus passed Matt, who was standing idly while looking in awe to their surroundings. He planted himself down in the soft grass, laying on his back facing the sky above them. Matt broke from the nature's trance, repeating Gus' action. His eyes widened as he took in the sight of the sky. 

An azure canvas spread for as far as he could see, with splashes of cerulean and gatherings of millions upon millions of glowing orbs that looked to the likes of fireflies.

Gus noticed Matt's reverie and chuckled. "Those are stars."

"They're like suns, but more than I can count."

Gus smiled. He intertwined his fingers with the boy's next to him. 

He whispered, almost too soft to hear. "Happy New Year, Matty," as fireworks began to light up the stunning sky.

[El Final]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[390 words]

Thought I'd incorporate the New Year into this story, so Happy New Year!!

Sorry it was short, I'm writing at 2am on the day I'm supposed to go back to school.

Story was inspired by a request from Thatcorneredgirl. 

Request a story on the Requests!! chapter.

I kept thinking of this scene from The Croods when I wrote this so-

-Marcel