Chapter 5

There had been little conversation as I trailed behind Erix. A statue of height, broad shoulders and a straight back, he paved a way through the crowd of silent fey. My mouth dried as we passed the kneeling crowds. I wanted to skip forward and ask what was happening, but Erix's long strides always kept him far ahead.

It was not for me, it couldn't be. Perhaps he was of some importance? He certainly presented himself in such a way. Yet the further we got into the sea of fey, I noticed his armour was no different than the other warriors. He just wore it with an aura of pride, or arrogance, I was unsure which. All the fey guards were adorned in brass tones of leather and metal. Cloaks trailed across their shoulders, each a different take on an autumn leaf.

There was no physical trait that suggested Erix was important. No crown or royal signet. And it was not Erix who was being watched. The countless, seemingly never-ending stares were pinned to me, and I felt heavy beneath their weight.

Only when I passed did they stand. A wave of bodies rose from their knees with faces of placid awe. I watched them, as they watched me, risking a glance in hopes to understand what captured their attention, wondering what pinched mouths into surprised circles and kept eyes wide and unblinking. At the tip of my tongue, I could taste... disbelief.

"Steady, little bird."

I turned just in time to stop myself walking straight into Erix's chest. It may have been the embarrassment, or a mixture of the annoyance I held when he referred to me by those words. The first time I had let it pass over my head, but this time I could not help but snap.

"You ask my name, but not once have called me by it. I do not know what is ruder, being introduced at the end of a blade or that."

"My apologies." He bowed his head slightly. "How terribly rude of me."

There was jest in his tone. I could not help but risk a smile, if only for a moment.

"What are they all staring at?" I asked, keeping my voice down.

"You," he replied plainly.

I gaped back at him, at least expecting him to sugarcoat the reply.

"Was it something I have done?" I shrugged, fisting my hands at my sides. Up until now I had feared to look at my hands, expecting to see blades of ice or curls of mist. If I did not look, I did not acknowledge. And I was not yet prepared to justify what had happened at the chopping block.

"Because you are of interest. To them, to me, to us all."

I felt the lack of answers only fuelled the irritation within me. Not wanting to put off my return home, I elected to swallow my next comments.

"Have you ridden before?" Erix gestured a hand to a large stag whom grazed in the empty space before us. Unlike the others, this had a mottled coat of black and white. Erix was rather tall, but beside the creature he looked unimportant and small. I trusted that if the stag reared up on its hind legs, it would compete with the fictional giants that filled children's tales.

"A horse, yes."

Erix widened his eyes, pressing a gloved finger to his pouted lips but hardly hiding the smirk beneath it. "My recommendation is not to offend my stead before riding upon its back. He moves far greater than any horse and now I would feel more comfortable with you sitting before me."

"I would feel more comfortable walking."

"With bootless feet, you will not make it far," Erix said, gesturing with an arm toward the stag. "Tell me if you need assistance clambering on."

"Will it let me?" I asked, stepping forward with my hand outstretched in greeting. Frightening but beautiful, my hand brushed over its coarse hairs and the creature huffed, skin twitching beneath my touch.