Chapter 3

Macie

After a lot of thinking, I decided I would do the catering job for Ethan. And in return, he would grant me a favor. A several thousand dollar favor.

My plan was solid and I was feeling confident as I strutted down the streets of New York towards his office.

I finally reached the imposing building and went inside. I skipped reception since everyone here knew who I was and went to the elevator. I hit the button for the thirty-second floor and went over my plan as I waited.

Finally, the elevator reached his floor and I got off. I went to walk past the secretary, but the woman stopped me.

"Excuse me Ma'am, but you can't go back there," she said to me. I scoffed and looked over at the woman. She was new so I decided to cut her some slack.

"Listen lady, I see you're new here so I'm going to excuse this slip up, but I can assure you I am most certainly allowed back there."

I've come here many times over the years to meet up with Jake and no one has ever stopped me from doing what I want.

"Mr. Miller is very busy today," the lady insisted, "you'll have to schedule an appointment."

I rolled my eyes. "Tell him Macie Cole is here."

The woman's eyes widened as she realized who I was and I took her moment of shock to slip back towards Ethan's office. I knocked once, but didn't wait for him to call me in before I opened the door.

"What are you doing here Macie?" Ethan asked, rubbing his temple.

"I've been thinking about your offer."

"My offer?"

"For your charity whatever," I explained, waving a hand in the air.

"You mean your dad's offer. To me."

I nodded.

"Well?"

"I will do this for you on one condition," I told him, taking a seat in front of his desk. I propped my legs up on the desk and got comfortable.

"And what's that?" Ethan asked me. Amusement danced in his bright green eyes, although he tried his best to hide it.

"I need a little loan."

"What for?"

"That's none of your business," I said sharply. I couldn't risk him telling my family I was struggling with Macie's.

"It is when it's my money."

I groaned. This wasn't going how I wanted it to, but I could still save it. Probably. And if not, at least I could say I tried.

"You know what? On second thought, I've decided not to take your offer."

I stood up and started walking for the door.

"Ok, fine."

I turned back around. "FINE?!"

Ethan nodded, a smirk playing on his lips.

"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY FINE!" I shouted, throwing my arms up in exasperation.

"Well, what am I supposed to say?"

"You're supposed to tell me to wait and then decide to take my offer!"

I realized after I said it that I'd given Ethan exactly what he wanted. Damn my stupid anger issues for getting in the way again! I almost had him!

"See Macie, I'm not going to do that," Ethan told me. "The way I see it, you need this more than I do."

"You're the one without a caterer for a big event," I said with a shrug.

"I'm young and rich," Ethan stated arrogantly, "I can find another caterer easily."

"Well I'm also young and rich," I retorted.

"Yet you're here asking me for money." Ethan hummed and tapped his finger on his lips.

"Fuck you!"

"I'd rather you didn't. You are my best friend's sister after all."

I screamed in frustration and turned back to the door, prepared to leave.

"Just tell me what you want the money for and maybe we can work something out."

"Why do you need to know?"

"I need to make sure I'm not investing in a drug addiction or something. Your parents would never forgive me."

"I don't do drugs!" I exclaimed, feeling quite offended.

"Then what's the money for?"

"MACIE'S PASTRIES!" I screamed.

I immediately slapped a hand over my mouth and shook my head in denial. I did not just say that.

"You mean your business?" Ethan asked. I nodded, cringing slightly. "The one you said was doing well?" Again, I nodded.

Ethan smirked. "I wonder, why would you say your business was doing well in front of your family and then come ask me for money?"

"Oh shut up," I sneered. I know Jake told him all about my declaration five years ago.

Ethan chuckled and I seriously considered throttling him. He already won and now he was rubbing it in too! I'll kill him!

"I'll give you the money," Ethan said, snapping me out of my very violent thoughts. "But I'm going to need more than just one measly catering event."

"What could you possibly want from me?" I asked him. I couldn't think of one thing I had that he couldn't get himself.

Ethan shrugged. "I don't know yet. Let's call it...a favor."

"A favor?"

Ethan nodded.

"Of what kind?"

"Of any kind."

This whole favor thing was making me suspicious, but I did need the money and I couldn't risk my family finding out.

"You can't tell my family about this," I told him. "To them, this is simply a favor from me to you."

"Sure."

"Promise."

Ethan held out his pinky. I rolled my eyes, but walked over to his desk and linked my pinky with his.

"It's a deal."