39 | what's in a kiss?

Jo

BREAKFAST ON SATURDAY is as cold and frigid as ice. Friday could be considered as dormant because mum had an early shift and I spent most of my day at the bookstore since we had a Black Friday sales. But this morning, we're all gathered in the dining room for breakfast and the tension is so thick that I could cut it with a knife. Everyone except grandma by the way, who's still sleeping in her room after having a particular long day knitting thanksgiving sweaters for the kids in the neighborhood.

I take a bite out of the bacon and eggs and it feels cold. Maybe it's the weather or maybe it's me. Or maybe it's mum who probably got carried away while preparing it this morning. I can't tell.

When I look up at her, the stress lines on her forehead have multiplied and grey hairs I've never noticed before, shoot out of her messy bun. Drew on the other hand, looks unaffected by whatever it is that's going on. He's even shaved his beard and even though his hair is still unkempt, he looks better. Somehow, that makes me both annoyed and relieved.

I pour more milk into my coffee and narrow my eyes at him. "When do you leave? Thanksgiving was two days ago."

Mum clears her throat and speaks for him instead. "Actually, your brother is going to be staying home for a while. His dorm fees have been long due and his friends have kicked him out. He'll be going to school from here until I've sorted out his fees."

I scoff and give him a nasty glance. So he wasn't just here to steal money after all? He had nowhere else to stay. "Hopefully, you get a fucking job and pay me my money back."

Mum massages her temples with a look of fatigue on her face. "Language," she weakly says and grabs a cup of coffee.

"I'm the older one, Jo. Don't talk to me like that." Drew says with a firm look on his face. If I scoffed before, it isn't as loud as I do now.

"Maybe I'd learn to respect you more if you didn't go around stealing your younger sister's money."

His hands ball into a fist and he points a fork at me. "Fucking brat."

"Pathetic thief."

"Enough." Mum says harshly and glares at both of us. "Can't we just enjoy a normal breakfast as a family without you two bickering around all the time?"

"Not until she stops being a brat."

"Not until he pays me back." We say at the same time.

Mum sighs, clearly exasperated and goes back to her pancakes. I get to my feet after a long glaring contest with Drew and throw one of my new novels into my tote bag.

I round the table and kiss mum on the forehead. "Bye mum," I say, shooting daggers at my brother. He gives me the finger and I stick mine into my mouth when she's not looking and return it to him. "I'm off to work."

She nods and stirs some sugar into her freshly made coffee. She's had about three within this short breakfast period. When I turn around and start to leave, I hear mum say, "Your sister's right. You should get a job."

I turn around with a derisive smirk on my face and nod. "Tell him."

"Alright, alright, off to work now." Mum waves me off.