4. The time my life changed for the Worse

Jane

I'm screwed!

Royally fucking screwed!

The minute the ginormous shifter – who continues to trail behind – enlightened me that I had entered a shifter territory, I knew I was pooched. Guaranteed, this wolf is a tracker or warrior from his sheer size and shrewd appearance - mind you, I haven't dared to look him in his eyes.

...That is the ultimate no-no and could mean death. Then again, everything I've done in the past few hours would warrant my death - without question or reprieve.

Fuck!

I swear, if I survive this, I don't think my bones will stop rattling from the absolute power and authority emanating from his entire aura.

Not wanting to play all my cards, I decide to pad along, pretending to be something I most certainly am not—as the shifter nicely pointed out. He wasn't wrong - we're nothing compared to his superior race. But damn, to hear the comment and tone it was delivered—stung. It's bad enough that just being in his presence scares the shit out of me and yet bizarrely soothes me in a way nothing or no one ever has.

Still, I can fake being a brave, snarky, ruthless woman with nothing but confidence streaming off me. If I can effortlessly put up a front at work, I can surely fool this lone shifter, right? I just hope he can't scent my fear from the out-and-out murky situation I put myself in. I honestly thought I could shave a few hours off my drive by cutting through the mountains.

To be fair, I was telling the truth. There was no prominent signage—I'm not even sure that's a thing. I was just being sardonic, hoping to come off as carefree instead of scared shitless. Still, I specifically remember learning about territories, and I vaguely remember the test when I had to name and locate them on our country's map. Somehow, I failed to miss this one. "Blood Moon."

"I'm sorry," I mutter, afraid to look behind me. The fact that I can feel - what I'm sure would be - magnetic eyes boring into my back is enough to keep my head held high, away from his, and on alert.

"You ask what territory this is. This parcel of land – like many others – belongs to the Blood Moon Pack." Icy pricks race across my skin as realization sets in.

No, no, no, no...

"Alpha Silas resides near here..." I quiver out, trying my best to remain calm. "The Alpha of the north... he is... this is...." I swallow, feeling overwhelmingly faint all of a sudden. I hadn't thought I crossed into the north quite yet. That the human passage that bridged to Grafton began well before his lands. Fuck! I knew it was a gamble, but honestly, in my mind, I had it all planned and marked out. The hiccup with my car and temporary delay in having it fixed threw me off course, leaving me agitated with myself and as a result, I moved hastily...

Fuck!

The hand that presses into the small of my back instantly relaxes the turmoil brewing in my belly and mind. With my eyes still lowered, I slowly turn to face his spectacularly chiselled chest with blatant uncertainty.

"Please let me go." It's a weak, pathetic plea having his Godlike features stiffen and his deep sigh displaying confusion in the dim light of the night. Just his scent has the moths further settling in my tummy and my lips twitching into a slight grin despite my newfound information. "I was between territories, or at least I honestly thought so. I was making my way to Grafton and must have taken... please." Even in the minute lighting, I know he's by far the most handsome man I've ever seen – and it has little to do with their embedded enchanting ways. Nor is it his sculpted hard lines, chiselled perfectly into a flawless physic dripping with virility and confidence. Hell, I haven't even seen his face, but I know if or when the time comes, I will be left breathless.