War of a Rose • Chapter 28

Chapter Twenty-eight
Rosaelia

My face reddens at his comment. I sit up, still processing what he has just done. Upon her release, she heaves and spits on the floor where Alessio is standing. "She doesn't love you! She'll never love you!" Natalia rocks in the chair, screaming over and over.

I scramble off the floor, naked from the waist down, and stroll into the darkness, searching for my jeans. I find them tossed in the corner. After sliding them on, I walked over to where Alessio stood. "Don't you think that was a little extreme?" I wanted her dead, not tasting my come. I shudder at the image replaying in my mind.

"This life is extreme, Rosaelia," He crosses his arms over his chest, "And that was nothing." I didn't waste my time arguing with him. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the distraught woman.

Her eyes glow with raw hatred, "You deserve every horrible thing coming for you!" I don't listen to her words. I don't care too.

"You're going to rot in hell."

"Then I guess we will rot next to each other because that's where I'm sending you." Only I wasn't going to pull the trigger. I came here intending to kill her, but I'm tired. My bloodlust was gone. I was still angry with her, but it wasn't for the right reasons. The anger that consumed me was not because she betrayed me by working with an enemy but because she had my husband between her legs. That was not a reason I wanted to kill someone. But today, I did.

"Don't kill me, please! I'll do anything you want. I'm sorry!" She screamed until her throat sounded raw. I couldn't take the sound of her shrieks any longer. My head already felt like it was going to explode. My ribs ached. And I was tired. Bruised and bloodied, and wet between my thighs. I pressed my legs together.

"You're call little rose. What will it be?" It wasn't a question of whether we would kill her or not. She betrayed the Altieri family by conspiring with another. Betrayal equals death. The question was for who would do it.

I looked down at the dry blood on my arms and hands. I've already added one life to my list today. To be frank, I didn't want her name on there. I gave the defeated woman one last look, "Put her down." Her shoulders sagged at my words. Her cries had continued, but they were silent. The only sound coming from her mouth was a prayer, asking for her soul to be forgiven.

I made for the door. Alessio disappeared into the darkness in the back of the room. I didn't wait to see what he emerged with. The only sound I heard behind me as I ascended the steps was one final wail. And then utter silence.

All five men were waiting by the basement door as I emerged from it. All of their heads snapped in my direction. One by one their eyes ran down my body, taking in all of the blood that was crusted on my arms and clothes.

I watched the little blue light as someone spoke into Niccolò earpiece, "I'll show you to your room." He stepped forward, extending his arm to guide me down the hall. I nodded, unable to speak. As I passed them, the four remaining men, their heads bowed in respect. 

I followed Niccolò through the halls until we came to a stop outside of a door. He said nothing as we walked, but I didn't miss the quick glances he would sneak when he thought I wasn't looking. He pushed open the door, "The bathroom is through that door."

I immediately noticed the black accents as I stepped into the room and I knew that this room was not mine. 

When I entered the bathroom, I did not start the shower. I couldn't. For whatever reason, I was frozen in the threshold. I wanted to strip my dirty clothes. I wanted to stand beneath the scorching water as it pelted down on me, rinsing my sins away. I couldn't. I didn't know what was wrong with me.