EPILOGUE ~ ii.

song of the chapter: apple pie by lizzy mcapline

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It's funny, thought the girl as she gazed dreamily out at the early-morning sky from 10,000 feet above ground, how different everything looks from so high. To her left, her mother absentmindedly rubbed her daughter's sweater-clad shoulder as she flipped through a gardening magazine. 

"I love you," (y/n) murmured to the older woman, snuggling in closer for some last-minute affection before chaos incarnate, otherwise known as moving into a dorm, struck. 

"Oh, my girl," her mother pretended that there wasn't actually tears in her eyes, but (y/n) knew better. After all, she was pretending too. Mr. Keating on her mother's other side reached over and took her hand in his, their matching wedding bands glinting in the electric lights of the plane. 

"Cornell is a beautiful school," he spoke gently and with a fatherly sort of reassurance. "you're going to do quite well. I'm sure everyone will be competing for your affection." (y/n) chuckled, just a little sadly. 

She knew he meant nothing profound by his comment, but she couldn't stop the flitters of memories in her mind's eye; flashes of ridiculous spectacles and hair the color of Autumn leaves. 

Her heart twanged, but she pulled a tight smile before once again turning her attention to the window. 

Here she was, nearly two years after having - briefly - attended Welton Academy, returning back to America to attend university. Of course, her top choice would have been Princeton for its wonderous literature studies, but they had exceptionally strict standards based on gender (rivaling those of Welton) that didn't allow her to attend. 

Still, Cornell's literature programs were supposedly magnificent - based on Keating's rather extensive connections, certain names with evaded (y/n)'s memory. Throughout most of her time back in London finishing up high school, she'd kept in touch with the Dead Poets Society.

Charlie's parents had been rather adamant that he finished his education at their local high school, which he did begrudgingly but accomplished nonetheless. As of his last letter, a few months ago, he was travelling with a group of socialites - that more or less sounded like a cult dressed in finery to his friend. 

Neil and Todd were still very much in love, as shown by their various photographs included in their letters. It brought so much joy to (y/n)'s heart, seeing their love blossom even though hers had not exactly seen the same fate. 

But that's exactly what it was, wasn't it? Fate. If it was meant to be, then it would have been. 

Neil's acting had caught the eye of many large productions, and his plan was to attend Juillard, on full scholarships due to his unspeakably brilliant talent. Todd was not entirely sure how he wanted to spend his life, but they apparently were renting a small apartment a few blocks from Neil's institution, with a new addition to their little family. Her name was Margaret, and she was a beautiful tabby cat - Neil's anniversary gift to Todd the year prior. 

As for Cameron, (y/n) couldn't care less. Even thinking about him gave her a headache, so much so that she winced. He was surely off to some pretentious, sexist Ivy League university by now, getting ready for his life of monotony behind a desk. 

Pitts, unfortunately, was not moving on to higher education. His grades were never superb to be begin with, but it warmed (y/n)'s heart to know that he hadn't taken it too harshly, and had intentions of starting his own business after attending trade school.