𝐭 𝐫 𝐨 𝐢 𝐬.

𝐈𝐈𝐈

✮✮✮

𝟏𝐒𝐓 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Both me and Dad had been tied down to chairs after the events earlier. I'd made a pointless attempt at trying to stop them, thrashing about until they eventually hit me around the head with a book. Hard. After I woke up, the five of us were sat in the kitchen, watching what I assumed to be the 'Frankel Footage'. I'd made another useless attempt at trying to get out, spitting out the cloth from my mouth and yelling at them, but they'd resorted to covering my mouth with tape. Eventually I gave up and watched the screen.

There was an old couple recording, both with bright smiles on their faces.
"I'm Dan Frankel, And..."
"I'm Edna Frankel."
"...Edna Frankel. And we are in Dallas, Texas, to see the president." The scene behind the couple was bright blue skies and luscious greenery. It would've looked straight out of a movie, had it not been for the following events.
"Today's date is November 22nd, 1963." Dan said, sending shivers down my spine. The current date was November 16th. How the hell did they get this?-

The woman, who was now painting Dad's toenails a vibrant green, voiced my thoughts for me, "Well, that's six days from now."
"Holy shit. This is it." The man next to me muttered, leaning forward. "The grassy knoll. Kennedy's about to get shot. How do you have this?"
"Hazel died getting me this footage." Hazel? "Must be the key to stopping doomsday." Doomsday? Seriously what the fuck was going on?-
"Hazel?"
"Long story."
"What's Doomsday?" Both the man and the woman voiced my thoughts again.
"Longer story." This boy seemed to like avoiding explainations. It angered me slightly.
I watched the screen again as Dan continued speaking. "This is very exciting!"
Before I fully had time to register what was happening, gunshots were heard as people began screaming.

I let out a sort of strangled cry, or as much of one as I could manage with the tape over my mouth, as I tried to understand what was going on. How the fuck did they know this would happen?!
The man side eyed me before staring intently back at the screen. "Oswald." Who?
The boy replayed the tape, pausing it and moving the projector backwards. It displayed a middle-aged man wearing a monocle and holding an umbrella.
"This can't be..."
"Okay, you gonna fill me in now boys? What the hell is this shit we're watching?" The woman said and I hummed in agreement. Both the man and the boy seemed to recognise the person on the screen as both stepped closer to observe. They ignored her question and murmered to each other.
"No, that's impossible."
"Clearly, it's not."

Dad spoke up for the first time since being tied down. He hadn't made quite such a fuss when being held back, so he was still lucky enough to have a cloth around his mouth. "Wh-what...what is it?"
Both answered in a whisper, barely audible, "Dad..."

The man sat down where he'd originally been whilst the boy paced, scratching the back of his neck in thought.
"Of course Dad would be involved in the assassination, I should've known."
"No, you're jumping to conclusions." The boy didn't even glance at the man as he spoke, but pointed a finger at him instead, still pacing.
The man stood up, raising his voice. "What the hell else is he doing standing on the grassy knoll, holding an open black umbrella on a sunny day in Dallas, the exact same moment the president gets shot?!" His voice broke on the last few words as he stood infront of the boy, clearly furious.
"It doesn't look good, I admit."
The man backed away from the boy slightly, his voice lower again, "No, he's the signalman for the whole goddamn thing."
"Easy Diego. Seriously." Ah, so this was Diego, Batman on a budget. Gotcha.
"No, it makes sense. This is what Hazel was obviously trying to tell you. We have to stop Dad from killing the president." Now I'm starting to understand the whole 'Batman' thing. He has a serious hero complex. And it doesn't look healthy.
"Diego, calm down alright? Dad was no boy scout, but presidential assassination? It's never been his thing."
"How would you know? You skipped out on his golden years."
"Skipped out?" Okay, this was getting kinda interesting, I had to admit. "You think I had it easy, Diego? I was alone for 45 years." Huh? He's a teenager though-
"You know what? We don't have the time for this right now." He looked almost hurt, and if it wasn't for the fact that he had tied both me and Dad to chairs, I might've felt bad. "Dad's clearly in Dallas, right? Let's just go talk to him. Maybe he can help us fix the timeline"
"Dallas is a big place. We need to find him first."
"Gee, if only we had some magical, old-timey way of finding people and their addresses." the boy said, leading Diego away, leaving me alone with Dad and the woman. Soon enough, she got up and left too.

Diego and the boy came back a couple of minutes later, leaving towards the front entrance. They muttered amongst themselves before turning back to us. Diego passed us, presumably looking for the woman, whilst the boy remained in the doorway. He looked between me and Dad as we both struggled to get out, before eventually settling his gaze on me. He stared at me for a moment before ambling towards me. Dad immediately started struggling more, as I did the complete opposite. If he was trying to intimidate me, it wasn't going to work.

He leaned down, his eyes now level with mine, giving a taunting smile before he spoke. "I'll remove the tape, but you must promise not to make a sound, okay?" I stared daggers at him before nodding slowly. He ripped the tape from my mouth, but stayed put. I contemplated shouting at him, but decided against it. I wasn't prepared for him to tape up my mouth again. Plus, it wasn't going to get me anywhere.

Satisifed that I would stay quiet, he started speaking again, "What's your name?"
I pursed my lips as he asked again. "Your name. What is it?"
"Y/n." I uttered, trying to ignore how close he was. His breath was hot against my skin. It was annoying how relaxed he seemed whilst I was the most uncomfortable I'd ever been.
He straightened, rather abruptly as I asked for his name in return. He seemed to consider the possible negatives of telling me, but probably found none, as he answered slowly.
"Five."

✮✮✮

woah chapter 3
ik i said it was gonna be a slow burn, but i had to add something im sorry 😩😩

ty 4 reading, have a great day/night <33

-eva xoxo