Chapter 1

PONY
It's been 2 months since Johnny's and Dally's death. I think about it every day. I was sitting on the couch, reading Gone With the Wind. It's the third time I had read it since Johnny's death. Whenever I read the book it brings back memories of Johnny. Two-Bit walks in.
"Hey Ponyboy, wanna go to the movies?"
I look up from my book. "Sure."
It was a quiet visit to the movies. Even with Two-Bit along. It's funny how you could be in a room with 20 other people, but still feel lonely. It's not the same anymore. Johnny and Dalley weren't there. And Soda, Steve, and Darry had to work. At least Two-Bit buys me food.
Since we've already seen the movie multiple times-the theatre is slow getting new movies-we decided to leave early. We walked down the road in the darkness of the night. Well, I did. Two-Bit was swaying back and forth with a smile on his face.
"Golly Two-Bit, why did you have to get drunk? You could have driven us home." I say.
He turns to face me. "Well what's the point of watching a movie without a bit of booze?"
Before I could reply a tuff yellow mustang pulled up along side of us and three Socs got out with switch blades.
Me and Two-Bit exchange glances. Two-Bit breaks a glass bottle and hands it to me. He flicks out his switchblade. "What do you want?"
The Soc points to me. "You are the reason Bob is dead. We want you to suffer like him." He lunged at me and pushes me to the ground, kicking my ribs.
Two-Bit starts to fight off the other two Socs.
The Soc was much bigger than me. I didn't stand a chance. He flicks out his switch blade as I struggle beneath his grip. I mange to kick him in the shin and I run off. It's not long before he grabs my shirt and puts me up against a brick wall of a building with his switchblade to my neck. I feel warm liquid trickling down my face. He must have cut me when I was trying to get away. I feel my left eye swelling and my ribs feel broken from him kicking me and punching me repetitively.
"Put him down." Two-Bit says.
"And why would I do that?" Says the Soc.
Two-Bit walks closer. "Do you really think that his brothers will let you get away with killing him? It's not even fair fight. They will have you out like a light."
The Soc thinks about this for a moment then drops me and walks back to his car. Two-Bit helps me up. "You got a nasty cut there buddy."
I touch my forehead and my hand comes back painted red.
I wonder what Darry will say about this.

SODA
It's 9:00 and Pony isn't home yet. Darry isn't worried because Pony's curfew is 10:00. He isn't as hard on Pony anymore, since that conversation out in the lot. So fortunately, he his just sitting in the chair reading the newspaper. Pony barges in through the door. I sit up. "Hey bud-" I look closer at his face. "What on earth happened to you?" By then I have gotten Darry's attention. He had a large, red, bleeding gash running from his forehead to his cheek, a black eye, and he was holding his side. He was crying.
Darry went over to him. "Did you and Two-Bit get jumped?"
Pony nodded.
I stepped in. "Darry, get the first aid kit." Darry does what I say. I give Pony a hug. "Hey, you're okay now."
"I know." Is all he says. I patch him up.
"You're gonna have one tuff scar there buddy." Darry says as he ruffles Pony's hair. "Let's hope it fades a little." I add, smiling.
"The guy who jumped me, he said he wanted revenge on me for killing Bob."
Pony says.
I put my hand on his shoulder. "Listen. It's not your fault Bob is dead. He was asking for it. He was trying to kill you and you had nothing to do with him dying. Johnny did it to save you." Pony gives me a half-smile. "Now, let's go on to bed. I got work in the morning."
We hop in the bed, and I sling my arm over Pony and fall into a good nights sleep.