Ch. 2 - Plum Trees and Fizzle Reed

They walked back to the threshold of her aunt's cottage, taking much longer than it should have. Lingering at the wall as they spoke, resting against the stones. Without noticing, they walked the length of it all. The time between the brilliant flashes and thundering booms of the fire spears had grown, but still here and there light splayed out on the grass before them.

Lain wondered when he looked at Adaira. How extraordinary she was, to give him room to feel anything else than what he had been.

"Where've you been?" Lain asked.

Adaira tilted her head. Her eyes moved back and forth a calm measure.

"In town? Where all have you been? What've you done since you've gotten here, to my part of Scotland?"

"Ah." Adaira brushed a few loose pebbles off the wall.

"I've been to the place... I cannae remember her name, the lady with the pastries, and—"

"Penelope MacGow's," Lain said nodding.

"Uh-huh, and I've been to Ferris's shop."

"Aye, Ferris. Ferris MacGow."

"Are they married?"

Lain laughed. "Oft, no, no, brother and sister. They came up from the lowlands years ago, a few years before I was born." He slouched as he thought. "Was it 1807... 1808? They've been here as long as I can— you don't remember them?" Lain asked, hopeful that she might. But then again, Lain didn't remember Adaira much either.

Adaira shook her head, smiling, and Lain nodded.

"Drives Ferris mad whenever the two of them are put together that way. Where else?"

"That's mostly it. I've been around the cottage helping my aunt Elspeth and my ma."

"That won't do. I could take you to Harris's pub? And of course, my da's..." Lain's soul shook when he said it. "Shop."

Adaira disregarded his pause, "Alright."

"Then we'll start there." Lain's smile faded. He grabbed a few blades of grass from the ground and tore them as they walked.

"Adaira, why did you come after me? Why're you making an effort to speak with me now? You could be in there, being celebrated." Lain pointed towards the stone wall.

Adaira shrugged and looked down. "I ehm, I heard about your da."

"Hmm."

Pity. That's why she watched him so closely.

"I'm sorry for what has passed."

Lain glanced down the hill and tensed his jaw, then he softened his face for her as much as he could. "Aye, me too."

"It's also that..." Adaira flashed a grin. "Never mind."

"Hmm?"

"No, it's nothing."

"You can say."

"There's something in your eyes." Adaira looked up at Lain and squinted. "It's something... as if I understand who you are."

Lain nodded quickly, and Adaira turned her gaze again.

What if it was a good thing, her hold on him?

"My da, we lost him as well," Adaira said. Her eyebrows weakened. She closed her eyes. "It's a fight, it is. We miss him."

He hadn't seen her father but thought nothing of it. It made sense.

Lain went to put his hand on her shoulder but let it fall.