epilogue

"Yes, mom," Lauren rolled her eyes, looking over at the girl in the passenger seat. "We just left the airport. We'll be there soon."

"You'll see, mom, I told you," Lauren bit her lip and glanced over at Camila. The smaller girl in the passenger seat smiled softly. "Alright mom, I've got to drive. I'll see you soon."

Lauren laughed softly once she hung up, setting her phone in the cupholder and lacing Camila's fingers with hers with her free hand.

"You look nervous," Camila tilted her head to the side slightly, letting her loose curls fall over her shoulder. "Are you nervous?"

Lauren shrugged and turned her attention back to the road, following the familiar route to her childhood home. "A little, yeah. I have no reason to be, though."

"It will be fun, right?" Camila traced her fingers around Lauren's wrist absentmindedly.

"Of course," Lauren smiled. "You get to meet my crazy family." Camila giggled and flipped Lauren's hand over, tracing circles in her palm.

Weeks had passed since Camila's acquittal. The seasons had changed, leaving a light blanket of snow across the ground in New York. In Miami, however, it was practically the perfect temperature. It was comfortable outside no matter what you were wearing.

After she was released, Camila was required to begin routine therapy appointments. At first, the smaller girl had been hesitant. But with ushering from Lauren, and time, the bi-weekly visits began to show progress.

She'd never be back to 100% normal. But as her doctor had said, there was always room for improvement.

One of Lauren's main concerns had been her and Camila's relationship. She talked to Camila's therapist right off the bat, firing question after question at the middle aged woman.

What she'd walked away with was a never ending list of medical terms, which basically explained to Lauren that yes, Camila was capable of love. And a relationship was fine as long as things were taken at a slow pace, and Camila was well aware of where things were going.

Camila was aware. Definitely aware. When Lauren had discussed the future with her, she was met with a babbling Camila, going on and on about what they would name their children, and what color they would paint their house. (Yellow, obviously.)

The thought of spending the rest of her life with Camila gave Lauren butterflies every time she thought about it. But she could wait. The more people she met on a daily basis, the more she realized how much she needed Camila.

And now, here they were. Weeks later, holding hands in the car on the way to Lauren's childhood home. Lauren's mother had invited Lauren and her 'mystery girlfriend' to spend Christmas with them.

So yes, Lauren was nervous. Extremely nervous. She had no idea how her parents would react when they found out who the mystery girl actually was. Because as far as they knew, Lauren still hated Camila with every bone in her body.

"Here we are," Lauren smiled nervously. She squeezed Camila's hand and nodded towards the house on the corner of the street. A group of small children were gathered on the front lawn, kicking around an inflatable beach ball.

"I like it," Camila smiled widely, sitting up straighter to get a better view of the house. Lauren parked the car on the side of the road and took a deep breath, turning to Camila.

"Y'ready?" she asked, biting her lip. Camila nodded.

"Are you?" she rebutted, catching onto the fact that Lauren was more nervous that she had admitted to being.