Chapter 4

"I'm really sorry, Esi. I know that it's a bit late. And, I know that you're probably busy with your work. I wouldn't have bothered you if I really didn't have to." Mrs. Chandler spoke rushedly as if she had millions of things to do at once. Poor woman, Esi thought. How she managed six children under the age of fifteen and still headed so many community outreach programmes always amazed her.

"Mrs. C, it's fine. Really," Esi reassured her. It was not fine. She did have lots of work to do, but when she thought about the kids in the outreach programme her heart stuttered. She knew first hand how excited they would be, and she didn't want to disappoint.
She was propped up on the couch the living room attempting to study when the call came in.

She could see her roommate Lena moving around in the kitchen and signaling to her. She looked up as she mouthed the words "No. Tell her, you're busy." Esi almost burst out laughing at the fact that she mimed spanking her with the large wooden spoon that she was waving around.
"I'll be there on Saturday. It's not a problem." She paused. "Do you need me to bring anything?"

"Just bring yourself. You're a lifesaver, Esi. Thank you."

After she hung up from Mrs. Chandler, Esi tried to mentally rearrange her schedule for the next few days. She was planning on using Saturday to do some cleaning and more research for her thesis.
She had her first meeting with her advisor, Professor Carlton the following week, and she wanted to make sure that she double checked all her points for her proposal.
She flopped back onto the sofa and blew out a sigh.
The only solution was to skip family dinner on Thursday evening.
She groaned.
Convincing her parents that she couldn't come would not be easy, especially since she had missed the last one. Also, her mother had doubly convinced her with the promise of Pelau and her new bottle of homemade hot sauce mix.

Sigh.

The sacrifices that life required.

"En serio? Mana, I don't get why you didn't just tell her "no'. Lena leaned over the kitchen island and glared directly at Esi. "I've heard you saying all week that you have extra research to do for your thesis. And, I know that you missed the last family dinner. Which..by the way is crazy because your mom's food is..." She did a chef's kiss gesture then turned back to stir the pot that she was making.

Esi angled her body towards the kitchen. "So maybe you could go in my place?" She asked sheepishly.
Lena scoffed. "Ummm....how about no. Also, don't even try that. I don't need to turn around to see that puppy dog face that you're giving me."
Esi rolled her eyes and huffed petulantly.

"I'm sure that it won't be like the last time. Dad just doesn't know when to stop teasing."

That made Lena whirl around. "Teasing? Really.... Is that what you call it?" She threw her hands up in the air, pasta water slightly splashing her.

She hissed and rubbed her arm at the slight burn.

" I almost got betrothed or whatever!," she pointed at Esi, who was barely containing her laughter. "Unknowingly, mind you, to some cousin of yours in Ghana!"

Esi was now full blown curled into herself laughing.

"It's not funny! He gave him my number!" She shrieked and flicked a piece of pasta that she was tasting at Esi, who attempted to duck from the flying food.

"I wonder how he got my number." Lena mused to herself sarcastically.

"I'll have you know that my cousin, William, is a very sweet guy. And...he's pretty nifty on the bass guitar. Look at that! You already have something in common. You can play music together," Esi responded with glee.

"Don't even...I play the cello." Lena deadpanned. "How would that even work?"
"But Magdalena..."Esi paused dramatically and watched as her roommate's eyes narrowed. She knew that Lena heavily disliked her name. "The fact that you're asking that question...does that mean you're considering it?"

Laughing, Esi grabbed her laptop and ducked the onslaught of pasta coming her way as she ran to her room.

"You think this is funny? I hope that you know what you're eating tonight, because you ain't getting none of my food." She shouted after her.

Esi grinned, and even after she closed her bedroom door, she could still hear Lena grumbling in Spanish in the kitchen.