23

"Man ion know what to do." James confessed. "I deadass haven't felt this way since highschool; Now ever since I had that dream my feelings for her are back."

Deja let out a frustrated sigh, "Jesus, James."

"I know." He sighed. "And the whole time they was posting vacation it made it worse and I got jealous."

"I literally don't know what to tell you. Like I'm stuck." She expressed. "You can't tell her, and you definitely can't tell Rome's hot headed ass."

Deja got a call. 

He eyes widened and she tooted her lips.

"Hey, girl." Mari greeted.

James rolled his eyes.

"Wassup, bookie." Deja replied.

"Where you at?" She asked.

"Clearly in my bed." She joked before flashing her surroundings. "Why?"

"You alone, I have something important to tell you..." she trailed.

Deja shooed James out of the room.

•••

"Yeah girl talk to me."

"I- think I'm pregnant?" She whispered.

Deja's jaw dropped and eyes widened.

"WHAT?" She yelled.

"Shhhh bitch damn." Mari urged.

Deja slapped her hand over her mouth.

"Why you think you pregnant?" She whispered.

"Girl, we was fuckin raw on our trip, not even gon hold you." She chuckled. "And I been having some symptoms."

Mari got up and started pacing around the room.

"Where is he?"

"He's out handling some business." She said fondling with the card in the bouquet of flowers he left on the nightstand for her. A smile stretched across her face.

"You told him yet?"

"No. Imma tell him when he get back... but I'm nervous."

"Girl, that boy would literally lick sweat from your ass crack if you told him to."

Mari giggled.

"You have nothing to be nervous about."

"Yeah but- I don't know if I'd wanna keep it." She confessed. "And I don't know how he'd take that news. Especially since we had that whole situation with ol girl."

She rolled her eyes just thinking about wassaname.

"Imma say this, at the end of the day it's your decision. If he love you like he say he do, he'll respect that decision."

Mari went to say something but heard keys rattling in the door.

"Oop. Das him. Imma call you later girl. Bye, love you."

"Love you too."

Mari quickly ended the call then made her way back to the bed.

Boodah walked in with some bags in his hand and a smirk plastered onto his face.

"Hi my baby." He cooed.

"Hey, Boo." She dragged.

He rested the bags down then crawled in the bed on top of her. They hugged and smothered eachother with kisses and he got comfortable.

"I got you some food, baby. You want me to bring it in?"

"Um... not yet." She said, sitting up. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course, mamas."

"Promise you won't get mad."

•••

She never spoke to him like this. His heartbeat sped up . His mind raced.

"Okay?" He agreed.

"I think I might be pregnant."

He sighed, relieved.

"And if I am... I don't know if I want to keep it."

"Oh." He said plainly.

He felt a little heartbroken by that statement.

"Why not?"

She sat in his lap and caressed his head. He held onto her waist.

"I'm scared and young. I just don't think I'm ready." She kissed his head, "It has nothing to do with you."

"Okay, baby."

"You'd be okay with that?"

"Yeah." He pecked her lips. "Honestly, I picked up a couple tests when I was out just now cause I knew I was raw doggin ya shit."

"Sure was."

•••

"Ma?" James said after knocking on his mother's bedroom door.

"Yeah, JJ?"

He fully entered the room and cuddled up under her.

"What's wrong, sweetie?"

He let out a deep sigh, "I like Mari again."

She held in a chuckle.

"Ma!" He urged.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She regained composure. "Why do you think you like her again?"

"Had a dream about the time we fucked now I can't get my mind off her."

"So what you gon do now?"

"Fuck these hoes til I get over her?"

"Mmm, yo granddaddy did that and still ended up with yo nana."

"So you sayin I can fuck around and still end up with her?"

"Boy, no." She sighed. "Look son, Rome is your best friend. He loves you dearly. I know you can't control who you like, but don't do nothing stupid."

James sighed.

"You know... when y'all fell off, he came up here and we had a talk." She blankly stared, thinking back on the conversation and trying to hold back tears. "Don't forsake that boy."

"What should I do?"

"I think you should do some reflecting right now." She started. "Ask yourself why you like her. Why do you think you had that dream about her? Did you ever really stop liking her? Did you actually like her in the first place? Figure out the root of the dilemma."

"Yeah."

"And you might have to tell them."

He kissed his teeth, "I knew it was comin."

"Welp." She shrugged. "Y'all grown. Talk it out."

"It ain't fair, ma." He complained. "I knew her first. She was my friend before she was his."

"And Deja was friends with her before both of y'all, so what that mean?"

He mugged her.

She fixed both of her hands to look like scissors then made a suggestive movement while she stuck out her tongue.

"Ew, ma!" He giggled while running out of her bedroom.

"Gon head and journal about it! I ain't buy all them damn books and pens for you to be suppressing yo emotions." She shouted.

•••