Chapter Forty-Two

Time's ticking out.

They had just over a month. Just over a month before Meg declared war on the heavens, bringing the fight straight up to Nadine.

And Claudio had been right. Their moments of alone time had been sparse since the last. Their time together was fleeting. With Meg constantly training, Claudio had thrown himself into research, full throttle.

His warlock page was a worst-case scenario—a soon to be reality.

Tired and disappointed, he made it back to his castle after another failed lead, eager to bury himself in bed and sleep it off. Right until the moment he scented her in the throne room.

An empty, dark throne room.

Frowning, he backtracked. And there she was. Dressed up all fancy in a long trailing dress, his mate sat slumped upon his throne, inspecting her nails as she sighed dramatically. She glanced up at the sound of footsteps and rolled her eyes.

Voice booming, she called to him. "It is I, the mighty King Claudio, here for all of you to behold. Bow before my feet, measly peasant, and see what punishment awaits you."

His mouth fell open.

King Claudio? And then he smirked. His exhaustion dissipated. She's pretending to be me. Measly peasant?

He cleared his throat. "You're a lot smaller than I'm used to seeing you, King Claudio."

Her nails rapped against the armrest of the throne. "Is that any way to address your mighty ruler?"

"Of course not. I apologise my liege. King Claudio, have you lost weight? And when did you get so fucking sexy?"

"You dare to enquire into your King's sizeable appetite?"

Now she was pushing it.

Evil little vixen.

"Sizeab—" She gave him a dark look. "My apologies, again, though I couldn't help but notice you've shed a good ninety pounds since I saw you last, King Claudio."

She tutted and scoffed. "Your attitude displeases me. It's good cause to have you hanged."

"Is that right?"

He made his way closer. Close enough to get a good look at her face. At the slightly irritated set to her expression.

"And now you dare to question me? You're only adding to your punishment."

"Punishment—is that supposed to sound like me?"

She looked him up and down as though she were sizing him up. He could play along. It felt like ages since he'd seen her. The highlight of his day.

"I'm not angry with you, peasant. Merely disappointed. I expected better from one such as you."

"Disappointed, love?" She gave him another one of those unimpressed looks, prompting a smile. "Excuse me, King Claudio." He looked her up and down in turn. At the tight red dress that hugged her curves and breasts. At the long slit in the right leg revealing all that heavenly skin. A leg he'd gotten used to having thrown across his shoulder as he languidly—

"Will you tell me what's the occasion?" He asked. "Please?"

"Show your King the appropriate respect and I might consider it."

Milking me for all I'm worth. God he'd been missing her attitude. Heavy armour clanking, he lowered himself to one knee in front of her, idly grabbing a hold of her heel-clad foot. "Then here I am, your lowly, humble demon slave at your feet."