Chapter 5

A/N A quick thank you to everyone who waisted so long when I had given up on the story, I want to stick with this till the end. Thank you to all my lovely readers and I apologise if this is edited badly. This is edited and added to at 11:50pm, writing is what I do when I can't sleep. Anyway I'll let you get to the story, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Comment? Vote?

----------------------------------------------

Flying is the best sensation, it makes you feel free and capable of anything. I've managed to blend in and get what I've needed so far but soon the authorities are going to catch on, plus I don't have a cover story for going to New York, I planned on going to Australia first but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

As we land I decide I need to call Jasmine as well and my mother, where is dad you ask? Out of the picture. He left Mom, Jas and I once Jasmine was diagnosed. Jasmine must have been a year at the time so she doesn't remember much and I choose not to. Mom took all the pictures down and refuses to talk about him but I guess we do okay, just the three of us.

I get my bag and walk to the nearest pay phone, I call home. I'm on the line talking to Jasmine for a bit when I hear something in the background.

"Shhh Jasy," I quickly quieten her.

"I don't care that she doesn't know you! You were the one that left in the first place! Besides she is focusing on her studies now, she has left all that behind and I think you should too." It sounds as if my mother is loosing her cool with someone.

"Hey, Jasmine baby, do you know who mommy is talking to?" I ask her as carefully as I can, trying not to raise suspicion.

"She is talking to some man, he came to the door when you phoned, he looks funny, he has a long coat," she giggles. Long coat!? "I'll ask momma. Momma! Ava asks who you talking to!"

"No!" I whisper hoarsely, just too late. Suddenly there is fierce whispering in the background, I hear a door slam and I'm on the phone with my mother.

"Ava, honey. How is the exchange programme? Not to challenging I hope? Having fun? Staying safe?" She sounds worried and seems to be fumbling over her words.

"No mom, its fine really. I'm sorry I haven't called lately, I've been busy." I try calm her down before asking about the visitor. "Who were you talking to before? You sounded upset."

The line suddenly goes quite. Her voice sounds both frightened and stern. "Ava, I don't know what you heard but I am not in any situation to be explaining anything to you until I understand what you're doing. Where are you? I know you're not in China any more."

Shit. I take a deep breath before answering. "It's for Jassy," I hear myself say and am surprised to hear so much emotion in my voice.

"NO! Ava. What do you mean? Are you doing something illegal?! You need to come home!! We can work this out." My mother is starting to sound hysterical.

At this point I'm starting to worry, I shouldn't be standing in one, open place for this long. "Look mom, I love you okay? I'm doing this so Jasmine can have a future. Mom she is only 4, she still has a chance at having a life." My eyes are darting around and I'm sure I can hear sirens in the distance.

"Ava, honey. What have you done? You're destroying you future! What about you, my eldest?" My mother sounds close to tears.

"Look, mom. I have to go, I'm going to get caught if I stay. I know you worry but I'm too close to back out now. I ask that you trust me, just this once. And tell Jasmine that I'll be back," I try to keep my emotions in check but this sounds too much like a good bye.

"Please Ava," my mother begs. "Come home, we can figure this out." It hurts me to hear her like this.

"Trust me, I can do this. I know I can." Now I'm reasoning with her? I glance around, my eyes landing on two security officers making their rounds. "I love you, I have to go. Bye." Just as I out the phone down I hear a faint whisper from my mother.

"Xander called..."

With the phone back in the receiver I stand there dump struck. The officers are walking my way, checking passports. Xander. No, I can't let myself think. Move now, think later. I store that information in the back of my head, I'll process that later.