1. Under the thought bubble

🪷

🪷

Late September, Thursday

"-I would not get my hopes up, sir. In this case, the loss of memory is quite severe"

Sitting on the uncomfortable, plastic chair, she taps her foot against the hospital floor. The light tapping goes completely unheard. The talking of the two men above her reaches her ears, but she refuses to hear it, letting her eyes wander instead.

The brown wooden desk, with a nice green lamp on it. A red leather couch in the corner. Medical magazines. Health magazines. All stacked by the door. A vase of orange lilies on the table, probably with no meaning. And right behind them, a doctor dressed in his white coat. Next to him, next to her, an old man in a suit. She continues to tap her foot against the floor, to the point where it grows loud enough for the man in the suit to glance at her. She stops immediately.

"So, there is really no chance? This is my daughter we are talking about, doctor. You know she would get any treatment possible, money is not a problem"

This is her father, the man in the suit. He is grey haired and a little wobbly when he walks, but his height makes him just as intimidating as any other man. She really tries to look at his face and remember. Who wouldn't remember their own father, right? A few wrinkles here and there, harsh eyes and a sour expression. But there are bags under his eyes, and he sighs after every other word. She can't tell if he's tired because of her or just tired because he always is. She can't remember.

"I understand, however in this case it's a non-cancerous Benign brain tumour. She will physically be completely fine from now on, so there is no treatment needed. The only problem was the location of the tumour. A tumour in the temporal lobe often causes amnesia, and in this rare circumstance it seems to have been very extreme"

The doctor looks at her, and she looks at him, surprised to be acknowledged.

"Miss Amaya doesn't need any more treatment, and her memory will work normally from now on. However the part of her memory that is lost will most likely never return. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for that. I must apologise, Mr Tamura. I have never seen such an extreme case before"

The wrinkles on her father's forehead seem to double. He sighs again and Amaya lowers her head. She feels guilty despite knowing that it's not her fault. She can't help the fact that she got a tumour, or that she got it in the temporal lobe. Now she's stuck with a man she doesn't know claiming to be her father, living as a person she doesn't recognise.

This far, all she knows about the world is her medical condition. According to the nurses, she was discovered with a brain tumour in late spring. Over the summer she had many small surgeries and treatments, which eventually all came down to the last surgery, just one week ago. It seems to have caused her amnesia. Amaya has no recollection of this.