Prologue

This work, Amended Hearts, is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any associated links, videos or photographs are not the property of the author, and no assertion of copyright or ownership is made or intended.

Prologue

            “What is it with you, Lily?” the woman asked breathlessly, as the dog continued to tow on the leash. Her usual leisurely jog was turning into a sprint to the finish line, straight up the biggest hill in the neighborhood. She felt as though her legs would fall off and her lungs would explode at any second. However, her already racing heart received an even bigger jolt when they reached the top, and blue lights flashed everywhere around her home, and the house next door. The dog no longer had to pull on the leash as Aaliyah stretched out her legs and raced through the darkness to the perimeter that had been set up at the curb with yellow tape that read, “POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS”

Neighbors milled about everywhere, trying to see what was going on. She heard snatches of their conversations as she tried to get the nearest officer’s attention. Stone faced, he didn’t respond to her waves and calls of “Officer!” However, she couldn’t blame him, as neighbors were doing much the same.

“I think it was a break in…”

“Do you suppose anybody was at home?”

“You should always invest in a good security system.”

“Is it true that shots were fired?”

She had heard enough. Aaliyah ducked under the caution tape, only to be confronted by the very officer she had been trying to wave over.

“Back behind the caution tape, Ma’am!” he said firmly.

“I’m sorry, but…”

“Behind the tape,” he repeated, carefully enunciating each word.

He put his hand on her shoulder as though to steer her toward the barrier, then froze as a menacing growl erupted from the throat of the large dog at her side.

“Down, Lily!” she immediately said, and the sound stopped abruptly. She patted the dog’s head affectionately to reward her for her obedience. She often forgot how intimidating the Mastiff could be to those who didn’t know what a marshmallow she was.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to cause any trouble,” she said as she ducked back beneath the tape, “but I’m Aaliyah Wyndham. That’s my house.” She gestured toward the dark cream, two-story structure. “I just need to know what’s happening here. Where is my brother?”

The officer’s face changed from stony to sympathetic in a flash. “Come with me, ma’am,” he said, lifting the police tape.

“Is he all right?” she asked anxiously as they walked toward her house.

“I don’t know, ma’am. I’m just working the perimeter. The detectives will be able to tell you more.”

Their legs quickly crossed the distance between the lawn and the front door. She ran up the stairs and into the foyer. Lily bounded inside, toward the great room in back, barking her head off with glee.

Then she finally heard her brother’s voice. “Down, you mangy mutt! Kitty, is that you?” he asked, stepping into view.

“Derrick, I’m so glad you’re all right!” Heedless of the officers milling about the rooms, she ran across the foyer and threw her arms around her big brother.