A Dangerous Affair Chapter 38

Stephanie and Tom were called into Brick’s office when they arrived at work, in order to fill him in on their findings the day before. Tom strolled into the room and picked up an apple that was sitting on Brick’s desk, throwing it into the air and catching it. “You’re not going to believe this boss, but it isn’t looking like any of these offences we think are connected with Hugh are real.”

Brick scowled. Tom never failed to agitate him with his arrogance. He was about the only employee he had that would dare to be so familiar with him. He snatched the apple off Tom and placed it back on his desk.

“Not real, what do you mean?” Brick asked.

Tom continued to fiddle with items on Brick’s desk while Stephanie explained more.

“Well sir, none of the offenders have criminal records, none showed any aggression, and we have also found out that it is likely nothing has actually been stolen.”

“Hey boss, Stephanie has come up with something. She has the name of the top newspaper working on these stories and she wants to go speak to someone there, find out where they’re getting their information from, because between what we’re finding out, and what is being printed, something doesn’t fit.” Tom was keen to get out of the office that day. There was only so much office work a man could put up with.  Besides, he figured that they could find out more by speaking to people, and that meant getting out of the office.

“Okay, go and speak to the newspaper, but get someone to phone them first so they know to expect you. We don’t want to go upsetting anyone with over arrogance,” he said, brushing Tom’s hand away from his desk. Tom grinned. At last, they could get out of there. He turned to leave.

“Oh and Stephanie,” Brick added before they left. “Make sure that you do most of the talking eh. I’m leaving the diplomacy to you.”

*****************************************

When they arrived at the newspaper it had started to rain so Tom held a newspaper over their heads as they ran from the car into the reception area. The receptionist directed them to an office on the first floor, and when they walked out of the lift, a woman was there, waiting to greet them.

“Hello, we were expecting you. That nice gentleman from your office just phoned, and now here you are.”

Tom and Stephanie exchanged quizzical looks, wondering who on earth the woman could be talking about. They couldn’t think of anyone in their office who could be described as a ‘nice gentleman.’

They looked blankly at the woman. Silence. She jumped and laughed loudly.

“How rude you must think me, sorry my name is Daphne.”

They shook hands and followed her into her office. Tom looked back at Stephanie. Was she thinking the same thing? This woman seemed a bit over the top!

“Please, do take a seat” she offered.

They sat.

“So, I assume that ‘the nice gentleman’,” Stephanie grinned, “ filled you in on why we are here,” she said, watching as the woman put her hands down on the desk and knocked over a glass of water. She jumped up and attempted to save the papers on her desk from the stream of water that was running slowly across it. However, on pulling the papers suddenly away, she in turn knocked over a pot full of pens. Tom put his head in his hand.

“Err, here, this might help,” Stephanie said, reaching over to a box of nearby tissues and handing her some. “So…the information we were hoping for?” Stephanie hinted.

“Oh yes, yes.” The woman put a flustered hand through her hair. There was a pause. Two pairs of eyes watched her expectantly. “Oh, I see, yes. We had some phone calls.”