Chapter 13

Kiara

When I woke up, it was nearly 10 a.m., which made me panic, so I quickly got up, got ready, and went downstairs, where my mother-in-law was waiting for me, looking quite angry.

Uh-oh, getting up late on the first day after your marriage is a problem, I guess.

"Hey, Mom." I wished, a little scared seeing her angry face, and then suddenly

she laughed "Oh my... Kiara, you really got scared; I didn't know you could get scared so easily." she said between her laughs.

"No, I don't get scared easily... but since I got up late and you put up your angry face, I thought you were really angry." I stated, defending myself.

"Ohk dear, no problem... anyways, I wasn't expecting you to wake up early, let alone on the next day of your wedding night!"  she teased, which surprised me, but I quickly realised she wanted to see me blush, so I blushed.

yup! She wanted this because right now she's looking so happy that I can't even tell.

"So, what was I saying.......... Yes! Because I knew you wouldn't wake up that early, I kept your pehli rasoi in the night so you could make today's dinner." she explained.

"Ok, Mom, I'll prepare the dinner." I said and continued after a pause, "So what should I do now?" I asked her.

"What do mean by what should you do? You're a working lady, right? Aren't you supposed to be at work?" She asked, making me surprised, shocked, and happy all at the same time.

"I do work, but am I allowed to work immediately the next day after my marriage?" I asked, because we live in India, and no matter how much you oppose the patriarchal system or discrimination, be honest, you'll face it someday, and you know you won't be able to do anything about it...

"Kiara, dear, in which era are you living? It's the twenty-first century, dear... of course, you're allowed to work the following year after your marriage...If Neil can, why can't you?" she said and I couldn't stop myself from hugging her.

And yes, I hugged her so tight, I fear I might have choked her between, but even she reciprocated with so much love, I for a moment felt like I was hugging my mother, which made me sob a little.

She then detached herself from me and asked,

"You're missing your mother. Right ? " she asked and I nodded.

"All right, dear, don't cry right now. I'll invite her to dinner today," she said with a lovely smile, and I just suddenly bloomed with happiness.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much, Mom, you're the best." I hugged her again.

"Ok, dear, now calm down. You're choking me." she said, and immediately left her, giving her a sheepish smile.

"So, first, you have the breakfast that I've made for you, and then get ready for work." She said she was making me walk to the dining table; damn, the dining table looks like I'm the queen of some country, and it was a feast arranged for me.

The table was literally filled with Indian breakfast delicacies.

Poha,  south Indian dishes, and even my favourite chole bhature!

"Mom, have you ever made so much food?" I asked her.

"Yes, do you like it?" she asked, with a smile.

"like it? I love it." I said, and she laughed.

"So begin with eating!" she said, serving me each and every item.

"Mom, you know you're the best mother-in-law in the whole world." I replied between eating