CHAPTER 2 - Spring Feast

CHAPTER 

Spring Feast

The Geddy Valley, half a mile north of the small town of Albergeddy, on the northeastern border of Ealdihain. Two hundred forty leagues west of Bailryn.

The two men following Gialyn were a hundred paces behind, but even from that distance, he could tell something was peculiar about one of them.

"Is that a giant following us?" he asked his father while pointing over his shoulder.

"What's that, boy?"

Daric-a tall, dark haired man with a soldier's build-was walking in front of their horse and cart.

He squinted over his shoulder. "No," Daric said, shaking his head, "not big enough by far. Besides, giants have two heads. Stop pointing, it's rude."

Two heads...?

Gialyn knew his father was joking, he was sure giants only had one head-not that anyone had seen any of the Ulroch in three generations. Still, it served him right; it was a silly thing to say. He couldn't be a giant, could he?

"It's just a tall man," Daric said. "Enough now, stop staring." He waved Pepa-the family horse, a shaggy piebald mare-forward and, despite taking a last look for himself, urged Gialyn to pay attention to the road.

Gialyn couldn't resist another look, either....

The man on the right-the normal-size man-had a regular build. He appeared older than the giant did. A thin, light-coloured cloak covered his day clothes, and he held a long staff in one hand. His skin was dark, Gialyn noticed-not Toyan dark, but darker than a Surabhan. Maybe he's been out in the sun too long.

The other man was huge-if he was a man-well over eight feet. He carried a pack the size of a small cart. He also wore a light-coloured cloak. Maybe they were military cloaks, or perhaps the two men belonged to the same clan. On the other hand, maybe they just bought their clothes from the same merchant....

"I have seen tall men before, Father," Gialyn said, "but he is wide with it. And he doesn't look Surabhan to me."

Daric slowed until he was walking at Pepa's side. He surreptitiously glanced over his right shoulder, while pretending to straighten horse's harness.

"They might be here for the Spring Feast." Daric mused. "They're not local; I'd know a man that size if he was from the Geddy. My guess, they will have come up from Beugeddy, traders, most likely.

"Anyway, boy, pay attention to where you're going, how many times do I have to tell you? I don't want you leading Pepa into a rut. Today is the first time I have had something to sell at market, even if it is only beets and beans. I don't want them spread all over the road."

"Sorry, Father."

"Honestly, your head is in the clouds. Giants are much bigger. Even the women are ten feet tall, or more, not that I've seen any. If there are any left in Moyathair, they'll be a thousand miles south, well beyond the Eurmac Canyon. Giants..." Daric shook his head.

Gialyn eased Pepa's harness a little. He grabbed the waterskin from the cart and splashed some water over the horse's neck. Then took one last look as he placed the skin back in the cart.

Maybe he's not a giant, but he is big. I bet he's come to the feast to perform, one of those strongman acts. Now that would be something to see.

He turned to the front and tried not to think about the men following them.

* * *

It was hot. Gialyn was beginning to wish he had taken his mother's advice and worn his yellow shirt. Yellow would be cooler. Unfashionable or not, it would be more comfortable than the black one he now wore. He tugged on the collar and swept the sweat-matted hair from his forehead.