The Inferno Flamberge: Chapter 3

A/N: Hello everybody, sorry it's been a while. I'm trying to get everything together to probably self publish my work. I'm working on self edits to "Undiscovered Origins" and hoping to find an editor to help with the rest. (Goodbye to my money). I also need a cover designer or artist to make the cover. Sadly I won't be able to save any of these covers because they are full of images that are most likely copyrighted. I have beta readers right now looking at my novel "The Crimson Claymore" on google docs, trying to get as many errors as we can on that. A member of my wife's family has editing experience and is hopefully going to help me edit that at the end of this month. I hope that goes well. I am ready to get these books of mine self published. If you want to join my beta reader team to help me out, please let me know. If you want to buy me an editor, please let me know =P. I am going to be trying hard to get my stuff published here soon, even if I have to do it myself. With more than 80 rejections in my inbox, I've had enough. I need to publish these novels so I can let them go and work on the next thing. With any luck, I can build enough fanbase/income with these novels (with hopes that when they're published all of you help me out by publishing awesome long reviews on Amazon & Goodreads) that I can write full time and create more worlds. As it stands now, I work a labor job that drains all the energy out of me, and it makes it hard for me to get home and write. Anyway, rant over, and here's the chapter. I love you my loyal fans <3

-Craig

Chapter 3:

            Searon stood on the stage next to Vil'ek looking down at the crowd of humans and kheshlars. The war was over, or so it seemed for everybody else. For Searon, it was only the beginning. He kept picturing Arria's dark face inside his mind, laughing. He tried to keep his composure at the ceremony.

            A kheshlar with blond hair stood between the two of them and addressed the crowd, "Today we celebrate victory, but we also mourn loss. Since our king had no heirs, under popular vote we have decided to appoint the king's right hand as the new king of Sudegam. Please welcome Vil'ek!"

            The blond kheshlar stepped off the stage. Vil'ek stepped to the center and nodded his head at the departing blond. The thin golden crown was already set upon his head. His scimitars were strapped to his side as he looked at the crowd before him.

            "We all love and miss our king. There are many of us who didn't agree with him and the rules he set forth for us, and others of us were completely happy with our life here. I know there are still many of you who don't care for the humans being here, but that will change. Sudegam will change. Without the humans coming to our aid, we would be no more. This was not a mere war against primitive reptiles like we believed for so long. They were organized, by someone who was a former kheshlar.

            Today is a day where we mourn our great king, Elsargast. While many of us didn't agree with all of his politics, it cannot be denied that he kept us safe for so many years. He was a great leader, a great king, and he will be sorely missed by each and every one of us.

            Today, as your new king, I am proposing a treaty of alliance between kheshlars and humans. No longer will we fear being in their presence. No longer will it be forbidden for kheshlars and humans to be together. However, I must warn you. As a kheshlar you live forever, and they do not. I fear Elsargast kept us away from meeting them from the heartache that may come as time passes. Please, welcome their leader, Searon."

            Vil'ek unrolled the scroll and held it for all to see. He smiled at the crowd as Searon walked over next to him and took the paper in his hand to read through. After a firm nod he accepted a quill from Vil'ek and signed the document.

            "For most of us the war is over now. The draeyks and daerions have scattered, and most have been slaughtered. Our alliance has ensured that. We should not live in resentment of each other, because of each other we have survived. I for one, am proud to call myself a friend of the kheshlars. I hope this will be the beginning of not only an alliance, but a friendship to last until the end of time. Now, let us be done with all of this talking and let the celebration begin. We have won! Now let's celebrate!"

            Everybody scattered into chatter and into the feast. There was still no meat being served inside of Sudegam, but vegetables of all sorts were prepared. Many ideas that the humans had from their wives at home, but others were recipes the kheshlar presented once they found out humans liked cooked vegetables much better than raw.

            Vil'ek patted Searon on the shoulder before heading off to his own duties. Searon nodded at him as he left the stage and walked away from the crowd. He sat alone away from the party and ran his long curly hair through his fingers. He desperately wanted to be happy and enjoy the celebration with everybody else, but he couldn't. His mind would not leave Anaela's tormented face as Arria took her away. He'd chased Anaela for so long, and when she finally let him in, Arria showed up and took her away. His fingers tightened in his hair and he growled.

            A hand on his shoulder startled him and he turned around to see Sh'on standing above him. He tried to smile at his friend, but only half of it showed. Sh'on got down on the ground to sit by his side.

            "I am sorry Searon," Sh'on said.

            "I know."

            "Will you be going after her?"

            "Yes."

            "When?" Sh'on asked.

            "Tomorrow."

            "I will come."

            "No," Searon said, "You do not need to do that. I will find her myself."

            "Searon, my friend. I first joined your party for the adventure. I would much rather be in space, but you are fascinating to be around."

            "I will come as well," came a voice from behind.

            Searon turned around to see Andron walking up holding the bandages that were in the place of his right hand. Aliqua and the other kheshlar healers did everything they could for Andron, but he would live the rest of his life without his right hand. Searon got to his feet and embraced Andron in a half hug.

            "No, my friend. I have enjoyed every moment of serving with you, but your place is not with me. The war is over now. It is time you went back to your family. Besides, I don't want Ketharine's wrath upon me," Searon smiled.

            Andron laughed, "Yeah, she would stop at nothing to see me home. Besides, I miss the kids, and I'd say it's about time to start for another one."

            Searon patted the back of his friend, "Do not fret Andron. If I enlist the aid of my friend Sh'on here, I will be in more than capable hands."

            "If you should run into trouble..."

            "I won't hesitate to send you a message, I promise."

            Andron grinned at him, pushing his long black hair from his face. Stubble finally creased his face after the past year of smooth. Searon hated to see his friend go and he wondered if he would ever be able to grow a beard like a real man.

            "He will have more help than that of a know-it-all mage," Xython said as he walked up with a couple horses at his side.

            Next to his old friend came Aliqua and Benedict, the young warrior that helped him during the siege of Sudegam. Searon's heart warmed with his friends coming with him. For so many years he felt like he didn't have friends, but now after a long and tiresome adventure, he knew of many he could count on.

            "You will not be on this journey alone Sir Searon," Sh'on said.