Trust (OC-Centered, Hint of OC/Canon)

"Trust is the foundation for all relationships, but it appears in many different ways," the tall man smiles warmly at the little girl staring at him with bright eyes. "Someday, you'll come to understand it, Morgan."

Morgan could say for certain that she hadn't thought about the words her father had said to her since his passing. She'd argue that she had a lot on her plate, but deeper within, she thinks she's just trying to excuse the guilt she feels about trying to run from everything.

So now, as Morgan's eyes gloss over the notes her father had written once – now traced over in her handwriting – there's a quiet resolve to understand him better, starting with trust.

As it would turn out, he wasn't kidding when he said that trust came in many forms.

"Oh, good," Kjelle coughs out as she sways from one foot to the other, her eyes tracing over Morgan's figure to make sure that the girl in question was unharmed. When she's satisfied with her assessment, she starts to collapse to the floor.

"Kjelle!" Morgan cries, forgoing the fake identities in favor of bolting to her retainer's side, carefully cradling the girl in her arms to avoid agitating her injuries further. "That was...reckless," Morgan quips as she mentally commands the magical focus to hover over Kjelle so she could focus her healing magic.

"You're safe, aren't you?" Kjelle chuckles bitterly, before coughing a bit. Morgan gently squeezes Kjelle's shoulder, internally relieved that her injuries were minor. Morgan's gaze flickers up to the corpse of a large, crystalline worm. The purple eye that rested within what appeared to be the creature's mouth was now nothing more than a black bead, left sinking into the pool of hazy blue and jagged turquoise lines...Henir energy.

One of Henir's mutations, she thinks bitterly.

"I could've defended myself," Morgan says instead as she sets to healing her closest companion. If Kjelle could shrug, she would.

"Maybe, but what's done is done," The botanist says after a time, "I'm just glad you came out of it unscathed." Kjelle smiles warmly despite the dirt caked on her face and the strange, gas-like substance on her body. It could've been worse if Morgan hadn't provided ranged assistance, but it also could've been better if Kjelle hadn't had to fret over her.

Morgan pushed the thought away quickly, resorting to humming. Kjelle shouldn't have any issues with walking, so she would finish up the healing and they could get out of these strange dunes quickly.

"Grab on," Morgan requests softly, and though Kjelle replies with an indignant huff, she wraps her arms around Morgan's neck. Morgan pulls the girl up into a piggyback ride, taking a deep breath before carrying her onwards.

"We'll...find a way out of here, and then stop at a safe spot to set camp," Morgan says softly. "That substance doesn't seem to have entered your bloodstream, so we'll just have to work on cleaning you up."

Kjelle chuckles, "You too, then." Morgan finds it in herself to smile at that.

"I guess so," she replies, feeling the substance seep into her clothes. Kjelle nuzzles closer as best she can.

"...I'm glad you're safe," the retainer says softly, before frowning. "You always will be, in my care." Morgan doesn't respond, but Kjelle knows that she believes her.

Morgan sighs in relief as Kjelle seems to be able to rest easy when they finally make it out of there and into a spot near a river to camp. She had no notable injuries, and Morgan was thankful that Kjelle was lucky enough not to have inhaled much of the worm's breath attack. Still, the thought of going back there made her shudder.