The Doll

Anna:

We sit shaking in the corner of the room. I know John did it. I think he knows too. I shiver. I close my eyes. This whole place is insane. A doll. I used to play with dolls when I was younger. I loved them. Put my whole heart and sole into them. When I lost them. It was like the world was over. They were a part of me. I liked to think they felt the same way. Would come and search for me. I close my eyes. I open them slowly as John nudges my arm. I look around the normal room. The peach carpet and cream walls. The floral pattern duvet and curtains. I turn to look at him. He smiles back shakily. We turn our heads at the same time to stare at the doll picture. I stand up slowly. I stare down at John."I don't care what you think or say John. We're leaving… tomorrow" I say sternly at him. He moves his face to look at mine. His eyes are dark and menacing. He starts to shake. I back away. I fall backwards onto the bed. He smiles slowly.

"Yes, sure. I'll pay for the train" He says slowly. I smile at him. I walk into the tiny kitchen. I pour out some of the coffee. I drink it slowly. John hasn't moved. I walk over to him. I prod him. He moves his head slowly and rests his eyes on me. "Don't hit me. Its rude" He says slowly. I nod and carefully back away. I smile at him. "Good. I'll lead the way tomorrow. I know the cheapest station around this area" He says grinning.  I nod and raise my eyebrows. I take a sip of my coffee. My vision is temporarily blocked by the mug. I lower it down. John stares at me. I jump and drop the cup on the floor. I sigh and kneel down quickly. John jumps and blinks as he stares around the room. I gesture down at the growing coffee stain and he runs into the kitchen to gather towels.

"So where is this train station?" I ask staring up at him. I watch his face. His brow lowers and he shakes his head at me slowly. "You know the train station which you mentioned earlier. The one which is really cheap. John?" I ask slowly. I rest my hand on his hand. He looks up at me slowly. "What?" I ask him.

"I never said anything about a train station" I stare at him slowly. So who did?

John:

I stare at her with wide eyes. I never mentioned anything about a train. I lean back against the wall and rub my temples. Anna leans back as well. She shakes her head slowly. So who did. I step up and look around the room. The window is open and I run to it. I slam it shut. I feel anger rush through my body. What the hell is in my head. I grab my hair and pull. What the crap. "We are leaving  tonight. We'll take the normal train station" I say spinning round to face her. She nods slowly. I start to grab my clothes out of the wardrobe. I feel something in  the back of my mind. Someone so sad and alone. Tears start to fall down my cheeks. I brush them away quickly. I sit down on the bed and stare at my knees. I breathe deeply. Anna walks over and rests her hand on my shoulder. I nod and stand up slowly. "The train will leave soon" I say loudly. I didn't want to say that. "Anna come on!" I shout at her. I cover my mouth. I feel the sadness push through. "Anna… I…I'm sorry. I don't know why…" She just smiles at me and sighs. She then turns her back to start packing the bags more quickly. I join her and start to help. What the hell is wrong with me. I just hear that laugh. That sad laugh. She only doesn’t want to be alone.

Anna:

We walk down the dark road. I shiver slightly. John still doesn’t seem right. We start to head down some back allies. Strange, but then again we did take the bus here. John seems only focused on the road ahead. I sigh deeply and look around at the station. It looks old and derelict. I tread carefully on the moss covered floor. I look up at John. He seems to have the same confused face. Until he looks up. He smiles down at me and grabs my arm. His grip is really tight. I try to shake him off. Only he just turns slowly to face me and grins. I shake slowly. I breathe quickly. I see a girl ahead. She's dancing in what's left of the moonlight, most is blocked by the high trees. She spins perfectly. Her purple dress flutters in the breeze. I suddenly realize its Emily. I breathe in quickly and start to choke on the sudden intake of air. John drags me regardless. She laughs slowly and I shiver. I look up. She's holding the doll. The small porcelain doll. It swings from her hand. John starts to cough. I turn to look at him. Blood starts to slip from his mouth. I scream. I look up at Emily. She only laughs. She spins the doll around. I shake him constantly. He releases his grip on my arm. I back away. I spin around and look at Emily walking slowly barefoot on the railway. I run and jump into the tracks. I shout her name. She turns her face slowly and smiles. Suddenly I hear the blaring sound of a train. I jump to the side of the railway. It runs past me. I close my eyes tightly. I open them once the train passed. Emily and the doll were gone. I run into the middle and spin. I shout out her name. I clamber up to the side. John is on the floor. I run up to him. Something is stuck in his mouth. It’s a small dress. Perfect size for the doll. I grab it and pull it out. John splutters and coughs. He looks around. "Where the hell are we?" He shouts as he looks around at the station.

"You should know John. You took us here." He looks bemused. I start to shake him. "John. Emily has the doll thing" I scream at him. He snaps from his trance and looks up at me with scared eyes. I nod slowly.