8. Drifter

Our room was a medium size, with two beds, two bedside tables, two closets, and a bathroom. The bathroom was a decent size. Everything was simple and modern, right down to the curtains hanging over the large window.

Two cell phones lay on our beds, one for each of us. Several numbers were programmed into the phones, including Scott's, Nico's, and thirteen other names we didn't know.

"Could it be the others?" Enzo asked, referring to the others who were here, the ones like us.

"Probably. But who's number thirteen?" I looked through the names on the smartphone. "Alex. Edgar. Ying."

"What kind of name is Edgar?" Enzo snickered.

"I'm sure, when he meets you, he'll be thinking the same thing about the name Enzo." I countered, joking.

Enzo glared at me, then laughed, nodding his head.

"What if the extra name is the doctor?" Enzo suggested.

"Maybe," I thought. "Which one of these names do you believe would belong to the doctor?"

A sinister grin crept onto his face. "Want to place a bet?"

I laughed out loud. "What exactly are we betting?"

He scoffed. "It's only a joke. Let's see..." He scrolled through the names again. "Piper. The doctor is definitely Piper."

"Do we even know the gender of the doctor?" I asked.

Enzo shook his head. "Nope. What about you? Who do you think the doctor is?"

As much as I was irked by this whole situation, I played along. I went back though the list and decided to go with the first name to pop up. "Alex. Could be either a man or a woman. Boom."

Enzo got up from his bed and walked over to mine, where I sat cross-legged, and stuck out a hand. "Do we have a friendly little wager, then?"

"We have to bet something."

He thought. "I can't think of anything. What about this: whoever wins gets to choose the winnings as we go throughout today and tomorrow and when we ship out to wherever we're shipping out. Sound good?"

I took his hand. "Deal. If one of us is to get kidnapped by pirates off the coast of Africa... Well, Enzo, it was nice knowing you."

It was nice to joke around with Enzo for a bit, considering the hell that we were going through on the inside, considering the confusion and pain and hopelessness we both felt.

We went through the clothes that were pre-stocked in our size in our separate closets when Enzo spoke again.

"These clothes are terribly ace," Enzo mumbled to himself while pulling out a pair of jeans to examine them.

"If by terribly ace you mean extremely tight in a terrible way, then I agree." I myself had grabbed a pair of jeans from my closet and went to the bathroom to try them on. A full length mirror stood in the corner of the bedroom, so I walked out to get a better look.

"These things are about a size too small," I commented.

Enzo's voice went up an octave to mimic a preppy American girl's voice. "Your bum looks fabulous, dear!"

I turned around to stare at him, causing him to laugh. When I didn't laugh with him, he stopped.

He still smiled. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I actually enjoy the humor," I told him as I went to sit on my bed again. Enzo stopped what he was doing and sat on the floor by his bed, his back against it so that he was facing me.