Deafening Silence

George was the first to wake up, the bright sun piercing his eyelids. Dazed and frightened, he immediately woke the rest of them. There was fear in everyone's eyes, but no one dared to speak. For a few minutes, everyone took in the vast nothingness that lay in front of them: miles and miles of ocean. No sign of human life near them. "Where are we?" Fred muttered under his breath. None of them could figure out where they were, or how they got there. Angel was the only one in the group who had traveled outside their town, having taken multiple skiing trips to the Swiss Alps. But even she couldn't make out their present location. As they gazed into the glistening water, a shuddering Henry stood up and turned around. "Look!" was all he could manage as he stared at the behemoth that stood in the distance. As the others responded to Henry's feeble exclamation, the fear in their eyes turned into feeble hope. For in the distance stood a ship, anchored off in the distance. The metal beast shone brightly as the sun reflected off it, a sight to behold.

As the group walked towards the ship, they noticed a boat neatly shored up on the beach. "That's strange," whispered Harry. "Did that boat just appear out of nowhere?" "You're hallucinating, probably because you're dehydrated. That boat has been here all along." Candace remarked. Meanwhile, Fred and George pushed the boat out into the water and helped the rest get on board. "Don't worry, we'll hopefully get some water once we're on board," George said. "Which gets me thinking, why haven't they seen us yet?" Alex asked. His question sent shivers down Harry's spine. 'It's true. Why hasn't someone signaled to us yet, or come out to rescue us? Surely they can see us from there?'

Harry's fears were soon answered. As the group rowed up to the ship, what they could hear was the creaking of metal. Nothing else. No footsteps, no shouting, nothing. It was a ghost ship, and as the reality of the situation dawned on them, fear returned to its usual place in their hearts. Nevertheless, they all climbed on board, hoping to, once again, stumble upon something that could help alleviate their fears. But hours of sifting through the ship yielded more unnerving silence. That is, until they stumbled into the bridge.

The bridge was brightly lit up by the afternoon sun. The front of the bridge had windows looking out towards the bow of the ship, and a door on both the port and starboard side offered access to the bridge wings. Three chairs faced the windows, looking outside, and in front of the chairs lay a plethora of screens and buttons. In the center of the room was a large, solid metal desk, which showed a digital map. A wheel and a throttle control soon caught their eye. And while the others could not make head or tail of their surroundings, Candace was confused. And concerned. For her brain was telling her that this was an American, Arleigh Burke class destroyer, a simple deduction for her based on their tour of the ship. But the bridge resembled nothing she had ever seen before. It almost seemed as if it was custom-made for a bunch of kids with no idea about running a ship..............