Chapter 7: Truth

Entering the vast expanse of the Orchard, I am enveloped by a multitude of Sizzlefruit trees stretching as far as the eye can see—a kaleidoscope of colors and an aroma of sweetness hanging in the air. Towering plumes of vibrant orange rise from the earth like pillars of radiant sunlight, creating an awe-inspiring sight.

Yet, amidst this natural splendor, I cannot shake off the sting of Iva's harsh words. Her cutting remarks have burrowed deep within me, leaving a lingering doubt that festers like a poisoned wound. The longing for truth gnaws at my core, compelling me to confront the pain I've endured.

Why must this hurt so much? Of all the suffering I've endured, why does this pain feel so raw? Could it be that she seeks to strip away my essence, reducing me to nothing more than a mere instrument of some greater will? Was there ever a trace of spirit within me?

The tightness in my chest threatens to consume me if left unattended, yet I press on. Stumbling through the Orchard, the colors blur into a surreal canvas around me, and the buzzing of my Brand fills my senses. Weakness seeps into my limbs, dragging me down as I struggle to stay upright. I am no longer afraid.

I am but a tool, Branded by my keeper, imperfect and adrift.

Amidst the haze, a wooden cart laden with native fruits catches my eye. What little is left of me seeking solace in its offerings succumbs to the allure of its scent.

                        Sizzlefruit

The unusual appearance of the peculiar fruit catches my eye – an orange hue adorned with tiny spikes on its rind

The unusual appearance of the peculiar fruit catches my eye – an orange hue adorned with tiny spikes on its rind. Despite its prickly exterior, the fruit yields under my touch, its flesh soft and yielding, devoid of any threat of harm. Curiosity piqued, I sink my teeth into its side, instantly enveloped by its sweetness. It resembles Beebear honey mead but surpasses it in intensity, melting in my mouth like candy and flooding me with nostalgia.

As I indulge, memories of happier times flood my mind, particularly those shared with Ron over a drink. A pang of longing for his company hits me, and I find myself lost in the bittersweet recollections. Juices dribble down my chin, and tender fragments of fruit cling to my cheeks, a messy testament to my indulgence.

Driven by a desire to cling to these fleeting moments of joy, I continue to devour the fruit; each bite is a reminder of a happier past. Unbeknownst to me, I lose track of the time and quantity consumed by eating and the flood of memories it brings. I grasp onto fragments of happiness with every mouthful, desperately clinging to them amidst the constant buzzing that threatens to drown me.

"You."

Roused from my reverie by an unexpected voice, I lifted my gaze from the feast before me, momentarily disoriented. Questions flooded my mind, swirling in a haze of confusion—I couldn't recall how I arrived here, what day it was, or even where I'd been since I started indulging in the succulent fruit. My memory seemed to have abandoned me, leaving only a vague recollection of stumbling upon the cart and succumbing to the allure of its strange orange bounty. With its irresistible blend of relaxation and contentment, the fruit had cast its spell over me, a sensation not unfamiliar but always welcome.