Chapter 27

Two days had passed, and the tension in the air was palpable as Tommy's meticulously crafted plan was set into motion. Each sibling was kept in the dark about the full extent of their roles, a testament to Tommy's tendency for secrecy and control. And so, when Harry found herself at Ada's London residence, summoned by Tommy for an early breakfast, she was hardly taken aback to find him preoccupied writing a secret letter.

"Did you one anyway, you ignorant git" Ada huffed, placing a cup of tea in front of Tommy before moving to join Harry on the sofa who sat casually, cutting slices of an apple with her knife.

Tommy looked up, folding the letter with practiced precision. "Ada, come here a moment," he requested, gesturing to the chair beside him, his expression grave as he sealed the envelope. 

"If anything should happen to me today, I need you to post this letter. The postage is already affixed. No questions asked, it's... insurance," Tommy explained cryptically.

"Look, Tommy. Whatever it is you're involved in, just tell us," Ada pleaded, but her words fell on deaf ears, met only with silence.

"God, you never let anybody in..."

"You can say that again," Harry interjected from the sofa, her tone laced with playful sarcasm.

"And what's your role in his Thomas Shelby's great plan Harry? Hmm... You're just the same."

Just then, James, Ada's tenant, entered the lounge, hastily grabbing his jacket.

"What are you doing up at six o'clock in the morning?" Ada inquired, visibly surprised by his early appearance. Tommy and Harry took this as their cue to stand, slipping on their coats.

"Ready?" Tommy asked, a sense of urgency in his voice.

"What the bloody hell's going on?" Ada demanded, her confusion mounting.

"Little errand," James replied vaguely.

"What errand?" Ada pressed, but all three siblings avoided her gaze, a silent agreement between them.

"He just has to stand there, Ada..."

"Stand where? James, what's going on?"

"Harry tell me now where you're going?" Harry merely shrugged in mock surrender, with a small smirk glinting through.

"Don't listen to them, James, they'll get you killed!" Ada continued following them to the front door.

"What errand?" she tried one last time.

"For the cause, Ada. The good old cause" James replied with a small smile before turning to leave.

• • •

Harry hastened her steps, her shorter stature making it challenging to keep pace with Tommy and James.

"For the next ten minutes, you don't do or say anything I haven't told you, alright?" Tommy instructed James as they neared the 'bakery'.

"Alright, Harry?" Tommy glanced at her.

"Aye aye, Tom."

As they continued walking, they rounded a corner, nearly brushing past a jew leaning against the wall, engrossed in a newspaper.

"Hello, Ollie," Thomas greeted loudly, jolting him out of his reverie.

"Wait, hang on..." Ollie moved swiftly to catch Thomas' attention before he could enter the 'bakery'.

"Just you, yeah? They stay out here," Ollie directed, pointing to James and Harry.

"You stay with him," Thomas instructed, pointing his finger at Harry.