Deirdre

ALL CHAPTERS ARE THIRD PERSON

The first five chapters(titled the five main selected girl's names) are just an intro to the character and how they got into the selection. They're not technically "chapters" so chapter one will be after the chapter titled "Evelyn"

————————

Deirdre Swan stared in disbelief at the letter in her hands. 

Was this a sign?

She had known the prince was turning 19, of course, but there hadn't been a Selection in years. Queen Miabella was a British princess, and queens and prince consorts for hundreds of years had been international royals. Deirdre had read about it.

The one year they start this up again she's of age?

Was this a sign?

Shaking off the momentary feeling of disbelief, Deirdre ran into the gabled house that belonged to her family. She threw the mail onto the counter,  and ran for her room. Once she was in her room, she shrugged off the black coat she had been wearing despite the hot weather.

The question rang around in her head again as she sat down on her bed with a worn copy of an old book. 

A quote from this particular book resonated with her, "The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with."

She could only remember a time when he had been in her life. And the last year felt like a blur. Had it really been a year?

Yes,  and that's why this is a sign.

People tried to coax confessions out of her, which is why Deirdre had gone into her self-inducted isolation in the first place. She was never an outgoing person, but the accident had made it so much worse than before.

You have to fill out the form. It's the only way to end the mourning.

It's a sign.

———————

The paper was made of the softest material Deirdre had ever felt. She had tried to fill it out carefully, but her handwriting wasn't very good and it looked out of place next to the swooping script of the questions on the form.

Now, at the Providence Services Office, she didn't feel like this was a sign. Maybe it wasn't and she'd interpreted it all wrong.

She couldn't do this.

Deirdre wanted to back out of the line right now, but she was pushed up against a throng of 2s that had clown makeup on and were ready to get their picture taken, pushing her forward. There was no way she could do this.

The girl in front of her, a Six from the looks of it, stumbled forwards as the girls pushed again. One of the Twos laughed.

"Silly little Six can't stay on her feet," one of them giggled.

Deirdre ignored them, and so did the Six. 

Maybe they should have us bring a parent.

Deirdre watched the front of the line shrink and shrink and shrink until it was only a few girls. She had seene several girls strut into the building, and she had seen Sevens trip over their own two feet as they ran for cover from the Twos.

"Next!" The woman that was standing guard at the door yelled, and the Six tripped again as she went into the building.

No way was Deirdre going to stand a chance, with her black clothes and depressed face.