Chapter 1- The Calvin House

To very few, Scott Calvin is my boyfriend. To some, Scott Calvin and I are strangers. To most, Scott Calvin and I are co-workers. To us, we are best friends. We are best friends. But thanks to the company drama, there have been many interpretations of our friendship.

I worked at the toy company with Scott. That night, he was going to let me stay at his house with his son. After I divorced my husband, the house went to him. And I was trying to find a place to stay. At least it was for the night.

"Can I have your attention?" The band stopped, making me look at my boss. "This has been our best year, thanks to Do-It-All-For-You Dolly. I think we should give a special thanks to the people responsible for our record-breaking sales. Our Midwest marketing and distribution team, Scott Calvin and Susan Perry."

I cheered, grinning as Scott walked on stage. He smiled at me. Susan took the mic from our boss.

"Thank you very much. It was really a team effort, and I would just want to thank everyone individually."

"But we don't have time for that, do we?" Scott said, taking the spotlight from her. "In all seriousness, it's not just about making a profit in quality toys. We're also about families. But our families aren't here with us right now. This is probably why Johnson's secretary is in his lap. You guys have a great party, have a great year, drive safe. Thanks very much."

A few hours after the party, Scott and I left. He forgot he was meeting Laura at his house to pick up Charlie.

"Laura, I was hoping to catch you before you left the house. I ran a red light today. You would not believe the traffic out here." Scott honked his horn. "Yeah, and same to you! And that's not very ladylike. Anyway, I have (Y/n) and I'll try to get to my house as soon as I can. Oh, there's the problem right there. Three-car pile-up. I'm really going to be late."

We drove into town, faintly hearing carolers out the window. I stared out the windshield.

"You alright there, (L/n)? Drink too much?" Scott asked.

I rolled my eyes, a small smile on my face. "No." I looked at him after a moment. "There wasn't even vodka."

Scott smiled. "Keeping you on your toes."

We finally pulled into the driveway. I got out of the car, strolling up to the house.

"Neil's waiting in the car, and (Y/n)'s here. You should spend time with her," Laura reasoned.

Charlie smiled at me. "(Y/n)."

I grinned back, picking him up as I walked up the stairs. "Hiya, Charlie."

Scott, Charlie, and I walked into the house. I set Charlie down, letting him wander into the living room as I took off my shoes.

"There aren't that many presents over there," Charlie noticed.

"Well, that's because Santa isn't here yet," Scott replied.

"Neil doesn't believe in Santa," Charlie stated.

"Scott and I do. Does that count?" I teased, glancing at the boy.

Charlie shrugged. "Yeah, sure."

"What Christmas movie do you want to watch this time, bud?"

He decided on watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. We put in Frosty the Snowman when we heard something spraying. I ran over to Scott, Charlie following.

"What happened?" I questioned.

"Burning turkey," Scott breathed.

"Here." I took the extinguisher from him and put out the flames. I took the dish and set it in the sink, dousing the bird in water.

"That is exactly why you want a high-quality fire extinguisher right in the kitchen," Scott joked.

I knew there was a twenty-four-seven store in the area, so I went to buy another turkey. I cooked that one, and it came out like normal. We got to have a nice dinner, and Scott didn't burn anything else.

Scott put Charlie to bed. My room was right across from his.

"And out on the lawn, there rose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window, I flew like a flash..."

Charlie was a smart little kid. He was amazingly quick to realize, and he knew something was going on when Scott made fun of Neil. I was glad Laura didn't jab at me. Or, at least, I didn't hear her jab at me.

Scott knocked and opened my door. I stood up, and he hugged me tightly.

"Scott? Is everything okay?" I asked softly.

"Thanks for saving Christmas." Scott pulled away, looking at me. "Without you, I don't think Charlie would've wanted to stay the night."

"You're his dad. Of course he would stay." I rolled my eyes at his dramatics. "Good night, Scott."

He finally let go of me, instead kissing the top of my hand. "Good night, (Y/n)."