court

billie

"are you sure going to court in a motorcycle is appropriate?" mom asked.

"yes mom, it's not like the judge and jury are going to see me pull up in the court room like that." i rolled my eyes. "besides, it's gonna calm me down a little, before i go in there with him."

"billie, he's been arrested. he's can't afford bail, he's going to be handcuffed and brought into the room with guards, you're gonna be safe in there." mom assured me.

"i know that mom, but it's still hard seeing him after all these years, it's not easy, you know what he did to me, mentally." i said as i chewed a banana, that mom is forcing me to eat because i haven't eaten anything all day. i'm just... nervous, that's all.

"and that's why you're having two sessions with your therapist every week." she mentioned.

"i'm going, get out, i don't want to be late." i walked to the door, picked up my keys and waited for mom to gather her things so i can lock up.

"be safe." we separated when we both reached the garage, i nodded, "you too."

i couldn't help but feel my heart beat faster that usual, my palms got sweaty, starting to loosen my grip on the handlebars, even though i'm supposed to be cold. i don't know what im exactly feeling. maybe it's fear that i'll lose the case and he'll get to roam free. or i'm overthinking because maybe i'll start to dissociate and i won't be able to focus on anything. or maybe i'll get sick and feel like i might throw up or have a panic attack.

i can't do any of that, i can't embarrass myself. it's time he receives the appropriate consequences for his actions, and i need to be strong. at least in front of him. i can't have him get away with this.

i parked silver, hoped off and changed her. "your mama better be proud of me." i patted silver's seat and went inside the building.
-

he walked into the courtroom, hands cuffed behind his back. his public attorney beside him and and officer which both sat beside him at each side, he was later un-cuffed. he didn't look at me once. i don't know how to feel about that. i only squeezed moms hands tighter and tighter.

"will the defendant please rise." the judge said, sean stood up. "how does the defendant plead?"

"not guilty, your honor." he answered, and just for a split second we made eye contact before he sat back down.

and with that i started shaking, severely. i had no idea what was going on but i felt like i couldn't put two and two together. it's like i felt like i wanted to faint but i couldn't i was just at that everything is going so fast yet so slow, dizzy phase.

both attorneys gave their opening statements and i wasn't present for that, but when my lawyer went up again and started presenting evidence, i was suddenly awake.

"your honor the following evidence consists of camera footage that identifies mr. wright slapping ms. o'connell in the face in a local walmart." i lowered my head, not wanting to look at that screen. my lawyer further explained that sean, ended up leaving the store without buying anything, gripping me by the arm, throwing me into the car and later raping me and abusing me that night. backing it up with evidence from the store and the parking lot.

my lawyer continued with the second piece of evidence and the third, which is when i realized. i actually have a shot at bringing him down. the amount of evidence we have piled up against him are unbelievable it would be physically impossible for the jury to find him not guilty of the crimes he's being accused off.

we cut the evidence short and brought up the first witness, sean's neighbor. "state your full name for the record."

"gavin adam lewis."