Chapter Four: Knox & Scarlett

Knox leaned back into the large fake-leather chair. The material scratched his back and squealed in protest. The antique “leather” once-vibrant yellow, now faded, furniture was a gift a carpenter who was the friend of one of the first Zodiacs, dating back to the beginning of time. He remembered the story well. It was an old wives tale told with some disregard nowadays, and not many could recall all the details, but Knox had memorized every word.

    By now, any thought of speech was gone from his mind. He was still in shock. The shock of losing his leader, his friend, his brother. With Solace gone, there was only one thing to do. Choose a new leader. And here he was, standing - or rather, sitting- in The Hall of The Zodiac. The legendary hall of the equally legendary protectors, the one place that every child dreamed of making it to. It was the one place where, no matter who you were, you would find peace. But not for Knox. He came with the heavy burden of grief, and not even the aroma of the nearby kitchens could relieve him of it.

    Knox straightened in his chair. He did come here to reminisce over the old stories, he came here for help to appoint the new of the Scorpio guild. For now, he had left Alisha in charge, which may not have been the best idea now that he thought about it. Knox held his head in his hands and let out a troubled sigh. He did not even move when he felt a light touch on his shoulder.

    “Rise, guardian.” He looked up and straight into the fair face of the Protector of The Scorpion, Scarlett Orion. Her bright red hair roughly framed her face, and her indigo eyes sparkled under the ruler-straight bangs. All in all, Knox thought, She’s not bad looking. His eyes trailed down her silver armor and blue skirt. Then back up to the purple scorpion printed across her right collarbone and shoulder. His gaze also drifted to the broadsword strapped to her left hip, and he then thought of Alisha, and winced.

    “Something troubles you, young one.” Knox looked up into her fiery gaze once more, and instantly regretted coming. She obviously knew that something was wrong. And he had a feeling that she knew what it was.

   “S-Solace is gone.” The silence was deafening. Scarlett bowed her head, her hand on her sword. The grief engulfed her, threatening to drop her to her knees.

   “That... is to be expected.” She said at last, “I heard word of it from the stars, but to hear it from someone who saw it first hand...” Her armored hand tightened into a death grip on the leather wrapping of her weapon. The red pommel stone, engraved with a striking scorpion, glistened in the dim yellow light.

    “Has word reached the other guilds?” Knox’s head snapped up. He had sent word this morning, of Solace and the oncoming doom.

    “Yes, Lady Scarlett, word was sent not two hours ago.”

    “Then you have doomed us all.” The Scorpion warrior locked eyes with the trembling figure. Her eyes blazed.

    “YOU HAVE BEGUN THE END OF THE ZODIAC.” Her voice boomed with power, Knox sunk even further into the chair. The filtered light in the hall turned red as the Protector raged.

    “HAD YOU KEPT YOUR BIG MOUTH SHUT, THIS WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!” Scarlett was shaking with fury.

    “Wha- what’s happening?” Knox worried his bottom lip nervously. He never meant to mess anything up. Scarlett glanced away, towards the large, intricate doors to the hall.

    “You have begun the rebellion.”

**************************************************************

Cliffhanger!..... Sort of :3 Oh well *sigh* Anywho, sorry for the longing wait XD I have been working on this forever (A page and a half on Word!)

Vote, Comment, and Fan!

Also, there should be a picture of Scarlett on the side. No, I did not purposely name her like Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail.... XP I just realized the names.... and the faces....