Chptr 3. A Drop Of Poison

Chapter 3.  A Drop of Poison

Alys (POV)

    Who was he? The question kept going over and over in my mind, I often found myself lost in thought in the middle of class and when the teacher would call out I wouldn’t answer. When I didn’t answer till a beat later I got a couple of snickers out of the kids around the room. I try my best to ignore them but there jokes and looks always get to me. I could spend hours in front of a mirror, putting myself down.

    “Alys!” My mom called up to me from the stairs of the house. I groaned and stood from my desk.

    “Yeah?” I yelled back down not wanting to stop what I was doing.

    “Would you come down here please?” She asked and I rolled my eyes went down stairs.

    “What?” I asked coming into the living room where she was in front of the mirror putting earrings in.

    “I’m heading to work and I wanted to tell you I won’t be home till late so don’t wait up for me ok?”

    “You called me down to tell me that?” I asked crossing my arms in aggravation.

    “You know I don’t like hollering up the stairs Alys,” she said shrugging by me and grabbing her purse. I just shrugged and turned towards the kitchen heading to the fridge.

    “Ok I’ll see you tomorrow, love you,” she said as I was grabbing a mango smoothie.

    “Yup, you too,” I said twisting the cap and taking a chug. I heard the door open then close, then the sound of the garage door. Alone at last, if only she knew how much I disliked her. I sighed contently and headed up to my room, sitting back at my desk and glancing out my bedroom window, the sun was just about to set and I looked at my clock, 4:30…. I have time. I stood and grabbed my note book, my bag, and my Jacket, I ran down the stairs throwing on my jacket. I shoved my note book in my bag along with a pen; I went outside after I grabbed the house key and locked up the house. I got on my bike and started riding in the direction that led to my place.

    It wasn’t that far of a ride, maybe twenty minutes tops, mom hated it when I went to my place, I don’t know if it’s because it’s where my dad died or if she thinks it’s dangerous but either way, I ignored her. When I finally got there I looked around, first at the thick river, then at the forest that surrounded it. I breathed in deeply, loving the fresh air. I proceeded to my spot which was towards the edge of the river, near the opening into the forest. There was a giant rock where I would climb up and sat usually with my notebook. And that’s just what I did like any other time. I sat and wrote in my notebook, no one ever read them and no one ever would. When it began getting a little too dark for me to write anymore, I put my notebook back in my back and stretched out on the rock watching the sky and the way the lights from it would hit the water so beautifully. I began to sing quietly to myself and as I got more comfortable my singing became more pronounced. My dad always told me to not sing in front of people to often and if I did, only do it for a short amount of time and leave the room afterwards. But I wasn’t around anyone at the moment and I just let myself go. I sang a song I heard on the radio, not sure what it was called or who it was by.

    Suddenly there was a black cloud heading in my direction and I didn’t realize what it was till it was too close. I jumped off the rock as quick as I could, grabbing my back and pulling it with me. I made it over to my bike by the time the crows were close enough that I figured out they weren’t crows. They were Ravens. All of a sudden they turned to the right except for one that landed on a branch and stared down at me with its beady little eyes. I croaked at me then jumped off the branch and swept down towards me, I crouched down covering my head as it veered to the left and flew away. There was something about crows and them flying to the left that meant something to me but I couldn’t remember for the life of me.