Chapter 12

Returning to Hogwarts didn't go quite how she expected it to - and she didn't have very high expectations, to begin with. Upon arriving at Hogwarts, Hermione dragged her away to the library to do some more research on the Vanishing Cabinet, even though she had already told her that she had done that. Hermione claimed that it wouldn't hurt to look again. She wasn't expecting to find anything new and she didn't particularly care if they didn't because her father had promised to send over books from his department and had given her some advice about fixing Vanishing Cabinets, although he couldn't remember much; unfortunately Vanishing Cabinets were rare and he had never worked with one before.

When it became clear that they would not find any new information, they decided that they were overdue for a visit with Hagrid. They got there just in time, it seemed, as Hagrid had just finished brewing his tea. He offered them the scones he had recently made which they politely declined when they noticed that they were rock-hard. Hagrid kept them entertained with his stories about what he had done over their break and asked them about what they had done for Christmas.

He asked about Harry and Ron and seemed to get the hint when he noticed the uncomfortable look on her face and Hermione's hesitation to answer. After that, he ushered them out of the hut so they could spend some time with Buckbeak - or rather Witherwings. Spending time with the Hippogriff reminded her of third year when she and Hermione had been helping Hagrid prepare for his trial.

At the time, she absolutely loathed Malfoy because she assumed that Buckbeak's sentencing was his doing. It was only when they went back in time with Hermione's time turner that she discovered that it wasn't his fault at all. As she and her friends hid behind pumpkins, they watched Malfoy and his friends walk up to Hagrid's hut to apologise and explain that he had never said anything to his father. Harry had scoffed, unconvinced and she had to admit that she was too.

But then, the Minister for Magic, the executioner, and Dumbledore had shown up and they were shocked when they watched Malfoy start arguing and insisting that they didn't need to kill Buckbeak because he held no ill will towards the creature. They went inside Hagrid's hut to discuss the issue further and that is when Hermione jumped into action and they led Buckbeak further into the Forbidden Forest. Perhaps, it was then that she truly started seeing Malfoy in a different light.

She wrapped her arms around the Hippogriff's neck and hugged him to rid herself of the memory. Hagrid offered them a ride around on Buckbeak which she readily agreed to but Hermione profusely declined. She and Hagrid tried convincing her but she claimed that she would never ride a Hippogriff again.

After circling around the school grounds a couple of times on Buckbeak's back with Hermione screaming in her ear, they decided to head back to the common room. They bumped into Dumbledore on their way back and he handed them a letter to give to Harry. They reached the Fat Lady just in time to bump into Harry, Ron, and Ginny.

Hermione called Harry and Ginny's names to get their attention. Y/n greeted them with a smile and Hermione asked them how their Christmas was. Ron started to answer but was interrupted by Hermione who blatantly ignored him. She had to smother a smirk. Hermione gave Harry Dumbledore's letter while she turned to the hungover Fat Lady and gave her the new password. What was it with boys trying to act like nothing happened instead of talking things through and apologising?

They entered the common room and almost immediately Ron was intercepted by Lavender who greeted him with a rather enthusiastic 'Won Won'. She snorted and Hermione laughed. Ginny excused herself to go look for Dean and she, Hermione, and Harry moved off to the side to sit down and discuss their breaks.

Harry told them about how the Minister showed up at the Burrow, hoping to make an alliance with Harry and essentially make him a mascot for the Ministry. She was outraged and when she took a look at Mione's face, she knew that she was outraged too. The Minister for Magic had a lot of nerve to ask him that after everything the Ministry had put him through. They spent the rest of the evening bashing the Ministry.