CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

The vampire tried to bite her index finger off. Brin flailed her hands all around, making the wretched creature lose his grip on her. She tried to push back. Outside were ten vampires; inside were two. She could handle two.

“Pull me in!” Brin shouted. “Anaya! For God’s sake, pull me in!”

The vampires started jumping, and their red eyes glowed against Brin’s face so strongly that she felt like she was going blind.

“Anaya! Please!”

She stuck her feet out in the air as far as she could. Anaya still wasn’t grabbing them. She still wasn’t pulling her back inside.

Maybe they got her, she thought. Maybe they’re drinking Anaya’s thick, juicy blood right at this moment.

Brin looked forward, this spread of creatures before her looking more like zombies than vampires as they all pushed against each other and tried to pull her down.

She could see herself falling into the snow, looking up to see not one mouth but a hundred, all proceeding to sink their teeth into her veins. She wouldn’t feel any pain; there’d be a shocking jolt of energy, just for a moment, before the darkness overtook her, for now and for eternity.

“No!” Brin shouted down at the vampires below. “Get away! Get away! Get—”

Something grabbed her feet and pulled her back into the schoolhouse.

“Yes!” she screamed once, but then she screamed “Nooooo!” even louder, when she saw the fangs coming for her neck. She reached up and tried to push the creature away, but he wasn’t budging. Worse, he was stronger than the one that tried to attack her before.

“Youuuuuu…” the figure said. “Youuuuuu… tastyyyyyyy…”

“Oh God!” Brin screamed. “Get off me!”

The creature started drooling all over her face. She kicked him in his crotch, but that didn’t seem to cause any harm. Apparently he had no working tools down there.

“Mmmmm…” the creature said as he licked his slimy tongue along Brin’s neck and brought his sharp teeth down to her succulent skin. “Sooooo goooooood—”

One second the vampire was on top of Brin, and the next second, he wasn’t. Anaya crushed the top of a broken desk against the creature’s face and sent him soaring against the wall to the right.

Brin looked up at Anaya, her mouth agape. Then she looked to her left to see the other creature knocked unconscious.

“Give me your hand,” Anaya said, reaching out for Brin.

“What?” She didn’t move a muscle. “You saved me? I thought you hated me!”

“Just do it, bitch!”

Brin leaned forward and grabbed Anaya’s hand, just as the second creature jumped up on Anaya’s back and sunk his fangs into her neck.

“Owww!” Anaya screamed. “You son of a—”

She threw her arms back and clawed at the vampire’s head. She pushed Brin to the side, brought her arm back, and pummeled her fist into the creature’s face, knocking him down against the broken desks.

“You’re so strong!” Brin couldn’t believe her eyes.

“It’s not all fat,” Anaya said, shoving her back against the wall next to Brin. “How do we get out of here?”