Prologue

Rogue

Prologue

I walked out of the house, a basket full of wet clothes in my hand. I set it down on the ground and grabbed the stick that held the clothing line up, shifting it so that it was lower. Taking a peg, I started putting the clothes up. Through the corner of my eye, I could see the forest that went around the pack's territory, marking it. Our house was right next to the border, quite far from the pack house.

My father was the beta, and guarded the east part of the border from intruders. He was the strongest in the pack, second only to Alpha Cedrick. He and my eldest brother were currently inside, resting. They had offered to help with the laundry but I had shooed them away. I was the only girl in the house, so in a way it was my job to do these things, plus, the two had gotten back from a dangerous job a few days ago and were still recovering. I didn't know what it was, but Alpha Cedrick had seemed very worried when he summoned my father and Max. When they had arrived, they had looked tired and were beat up quite badly, though their werewolf healing was kicking in and most injuries were gone.

I lived with the two of them, Lowell and Finn. They were my other two brothers, both older than me. Our mother died shortly after giving birth to me 12 years ago. And, even though my dad never said it out loud, I could see in his eyes that he blamed me for the death of his mate. I know Max and Lowell did as well, I knew. They had been old enough to remember her when she died; Finn though, was only two then. But they did their best to try and love me, which was all I could ask for really.

After I had finished hanging the clothes, I pushed the stick back up so the clothes were higher up the ground. I was about to go inside, when I heard a rustling behind me. I turned to look at the woods; I was sure it had come from there. A snap sounded again and next thing I knew, I was on the ground with something heavy on top of me.

It took me a minute before I realized what it was.

A werewolf.

A Rogue.

I screamed, yelling for my father. The werewolf growled at me, its drool dripping onto my shoulder. It raised its large paw, barring his fangs. I closed my eyes bracing myself for the hit, but it never came. The weight was ripped off of me and I heard a familiar growl. I opened my eyes and saw my father, now in wolf form, standing in front of me.

'Get inside!' he told me through the wolf bond. But my body wouldn't move, for fear had ripped it from my minds control.

My father ran forward, leaping on one of the wolves. I saw now that there were eight of them. Father clawed at them, ripping their flesh apart. Blood splattered to the ground, and I could hear nothing but angry growls and howls of pain. By now three of the rogues lay on the ground dead.

Father looked tired, and he was limping. His leg was bleeding and he was loosing lots of blood; surely he wouldn't last much longer.

"Kacela!" I heard my name. I turned to see Max, my eldest brother running towards me. He picked me up off the ground and moved me behind him.

"Run inside," he said, pushing me towards the house. I nodded, shaking. I turned around and started running, but my path was intercepted by a dark figure. I stumbled back, both surprised and mesmerised. The wolf's fur was as black as the night sky, and its eyes were amber, like fire. I had never seen a wolf with amber eyes, but there were legends about them. They say that amber eyed wolves had incredible strength, even stronger than alphas, who were the strongest among werewolf kind. They say they could bend your will and make you do as they pleased. I had never believed that anything like that could exist.

Until today.

"Kacela!" I heard Max's desperate cry. The wolf had lunged at me, claw ready to kill. This was it; this was how I would die. I didn't want to die. Not yet. I waited for the pain to come, but it never came.

I opened my eyes to see my father, now in human form, standing in front of me. Blood had been spray all over me, coating my top and my legs. I could see the rogue's claw poking out from my father's back; see his fiery eyes were he pulled it out.

My father fell to the ground, his lifeless eyes staring up at me. I could hear Max howling behind me, both anger and sadness laced within it. He ran at the rogue, blinded by his hate. But the rogue killed him too, slashing his claw across him neck. Max died instantly.

The rogues closed in on me, but I did nothing. They were growling at each other, seeming to be discussing something. But before they could come to any sort of conclusion to their argument, the sound of footsteps filled my ears. The amber eyed wolf growled, and the group turned to the woods, fleeing. I was left on the ground, on my knees and covered in the blood of my father and brother.

Which is what my pack saw when they arrived.

But they didn't help me; they didn't ask questions about what had happened, for they had already come to their conclusion. I could see it in their eyes before they spoke it; the accusation. They thought I had done this. They thought I had killed Max and father.

Lowell and Finn had tears in their eyes as they walked forward. Each step they took was hesitant, scared. They walked past me, to where Max's body was. Finn fell to his knees, crying out as tears streamed down his face. Lowell though, had turned to face me; to see our father's body in front of me.

Anger twisted the features of his tears stained face and he charged towards and me, "You!" he yelled. "How could you?!"

I felt myself falling onto my back, feel the pain in my skull as it crashed to the ground. My vision blurred, but all my other senses seemed to get stronger. I could still hear Finn's cries as he threw himself over his dead brother's body. There was a sharp pain in my side and I could see Lowell towering above me. I could taste the blood in my mouth as I coughed it up.

It took me a minute before I realised the pain was caused my Lowell's foot digging into my side and my stomach. He kicked me repeatedly, but I did nothing. My brain was still trying to process everything that was happened. I felt more pain and several shadows had appeared beside Lowell and they began to claw at my body.

My father was dead.

My eldest brother was dead.

Finn was crying.

Lowell was hurting me.

The pack was helping him.

A sob escaped my lips, but it didn't sound right. It was inhuman, like that of a dying animal. In that moments I had wanted to die. Tears were falling from my eyes, but no one seemed to care. They continued their assault on my body, kicking and punching. Ripping my skin and drawing blood, yelling out insults. The only one who did nothing was Alpha Cedrick. Through the legs and feet of the pack, I could see him kneeling beside my father's body. A single tear fell from his eyes as he stared at the body of his best friend.

I had heard him speak the words 'anima cubent tua requiem, immensa ferantur' May you soul rest in peace, great warrior.

Comment

Vote

Follow

(If you'd like to, that is :D)