Secret Mission

That night on our drive home, Mom and I talked about the guy and about Ruthie trying to be helpful.

"We really need a code word," I told my Mom.

"I agree," she said. "What could it be?"

"Magenta."

"Magenta?"

"Yeah, like in, 'Look next to the bolt of magenta fabric'."

Mom laughed, "Do you really think she can remember something that complicated? She can hardly remember her kids' names these days."

"What about something like, "Ruthie, can you please go make sure the long arm has been oiled?'"

"No. That is too complicated, too, and she will not get it either. I am not sure we could ever get her to get it." She sighed and said, "What am I going to do when you are gone?"

"Mom, I still have another year here, and who knows where I am going after that."

"First of all, a year will go by really quickly, and second of all, you will go to college and not stay in Marble Falls. I hope you'll go to school in Austin, but it will be your choice."

"I am going to miss you, too, and the store." I had not been paying attention to where we were going. Then I realized where we were: the pharmacy. "Oh come on. Really? Tonight? We have to do research on this guy tonight?"

"You know I won't sleep until I know for sure."

"Does it have to be me?"

"Yes."

I knew I could not argue. I went into the pharmacy and acted like I was shopping.

I walked to the pharmacy drop off area and there was no one there, no line, and no one behind the counter. I walked up and was scanning the wall of photos when I heard someone approaching. My eyes landed on the last photo: it was the man from the store the week before! His name was Robertson after all.

I started towards the aisle leading away from the counter when I heard him say, "May I help you?"

I turned and blurted out, "I am looking for the back-to-school blinders! I mean binders! I mean bathroom. Oh, there is the sign right there! Thanks a lot. All right, I am going to go in there now."

I raced into the bathroom and ducked into a stall. I didn't know what to do. I would have to go out and walk by him again. I washed my hands and tried to make a quick exit.

I hurried to the exit with my head down and bumped into someone. It was Tyler.

"I always run into you at the oddest places," he said.

"Yes, um, I was just looking for some school supplies."

"That is very studious of you. School doesn't start for a few more weeks."

"I know," I said as I started to walk down the aisle and away from the man at the pharmacy counter. "What are you doing here?"

"Just buying some Gatorade. I just got off work. I am going to play some tennis with a friend."

"A friend. Ah yes, the new girl?" I responded before I even thought to filter my thoughts.

"What new girl? Oh her. That was my cousin's girlfriend. He is the son of my uncle who died. My parents helped him get in the service to help pay for his education. She was in town, and he is on leave, so we were all hanging out together."

"She was your cousin's girlfriend?"

"Yes."

"Oh. She sure was cuddly." I said. My face was burning and I was sure it was turning red. I changed the subject quickly, "So who are you playing tennis with tonight?"

"Derek. He and I like to play basketball and tennis together. Do you play?"

"No. I am not any good at basketball."

"How about tennis?"

"Um, not too sure about that one either. Plus, with my ankle still in a brace, I have no business trying new sports right now."

"How is your ankle?"

"Good. Getting stronger."

"What are you doing on Saturday night?"

"Saturday? This Saturday?"

I stuttered, "Nn...nothing much."

"Great! Then I will pick you up at your house at five o'clock and surprise you."

"Um, okay. Well I better run. My mom is waiting in the car."

"I know. I saw her when I was coming in. She told me I better get my butt in gear and ask you out."

"Really?" I was truly shocked she would say that. My hands were shaking and I was sure if I stood there a minute longer I'd break out in a full-body sweat. Or scream. "I better go now," I said, started to the car and then turned around and called after him, "Should I dress casual or what?"

"How about what?"

"Is that fancy or what?"

"Again, I like what!"

I smiled and tucked my hair behind my ear and walked off.

I reached the car and before I could get a word out my Mom said, "Good, I see that he followed my suggestion."

"Mom, you can't do things like that!"

"You'll have a good time on your date. Big deal. Plus, I am tired of you moping around all summer. It is obvious you like him, and he needed to get around to asking you out, so I just encouraged."

I rolled my eyes, set my head back and tried to block her out. I just wanted to get home and go to my room and write in my journal about how excited I was. I also wanted to scream, She was his cousin's girlfriend, and he asked me out! Even if Mom put him up to it, I was going on an official date, and I was supposed to wear what!

Oh goodness. What would I wear?