4.

You, along with Maria, Joaquin, and the general, all traveled home. Maria stayed downstairs to dine, while you went upstairs and promptly passed out as soon as your head touched your pillow.

You woke up at dawn the next day to screams coming from the pier. You grabbed your sword and rushed to the pier, seeing Manolo emerge from the fog with a lifeless looking Maria in his arms. Joaquin stepped forward and felt her pulse.

"She's gone... What have you done? WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE HER?"

He was about to pull out his sword before the general shoved passed him and looked at Maria in horror.

"What have you done boy?!"

He turned to you, angry.

"Why weren't you there to protect her?! That's the only reason you're here. The only thing you are asked to do. And you still failed. Get out of my sight."

Joaquin looked shocked at this, shooting you an apologetic glance as he followed the general away. You lowered your head in shame and anguish, tears streaming down your face. You listened to Manolo mutter something about Maria. Your head whipped in the direction of a new voice.

"But there is a way to see her. How much do you want to reunite with Maria?"

An old, decrepit looking man appeared as lightning struck. You and Manolo shared a glance before speaking in synch.

"With all my heart."

The man smiled creepily.

"Are you sure about that?"

You nodded in affirmation, while Manolo repeated what he said. The man then formed into an ugly, winged, creature made of tar with red skull eyes. He snapped his fingers and a two headed snake first bit you twice, causing you to collapse onto the ground and breathe your final breath as Manolo gasped.

It then bit him, sending him to the afterlife with you.

You woke up next to a still unconscious Manolo, gasping in shock when you saw what he looked like. He was a skeleton, adorning colorful markings across him. He still wore his signature outfit and hairstyle. His eyes slowly opened and he looked up at you in shock, taking in your skeletal appearance. You held out a hand to him, helping him up as a skeleton man on a horse rode up to you.

"Hello! Welcome to the land of the remembered! And on the day of the dead no less! Don't try to take it all in at once, ease into it. Can I get your names?"

Manolo perked up at this.

"Maria Posada!"

The man looked confused for a moment.

"Ay, parents and their crazy names. There's no Maria Posada on my list."

Manolo chuckled before replying.

"No, my name is Manolo Sanchez. I am looking for Maria Posada."

"Another Sanchez! Man, that family keeps on growing. What about you, dear?"

Manolo looked over to you, realizing he never got your name.

"Y/n L/n."

The man looked surprised.

"L/n?"

It was your turn to be confused.

"Yes?"

He looked solemn.

"Señorita, although it is thought to be well known that the L/n family is dead, your parents. They are alive. I am sorry, you will not join them here."

Your eyes widened.

"And they just... they didn't bother looking for me after the battle? They- they abandoned me?"

This discovery felt like a punch to the gut from Joaquin. You felt a hand on your shoulder and looked to see a solemn Manolo. You squeezed his hand in appreciation, nodding your head toward the man on the horse.

"Never mind that, can you help us find Maria Posada?"

The man hoisted you and Manolo up on the horse.

"I can take you to the Sanchez family. They should be able to he-ELLLLPPP"

He started to scream as the horse ran down the steep street. Once you reached the first Sanchez float you thanked the man and got off the horse, helping Manolo down. After conversing with quite a few Sanchezes and being launched from float to float, you finally reached Manolo's mother.