The Tenth Companion

Elrond and Gandalf watch as Frodo awakens and saw his friends in Rivendell. "His strength returns." Elrond replies. Desert has walked into the room to join the wizard and Elf. "That wound will never fully heal. He will carry it the rest of his life." Gandalf responds. Elrond acknowledges her presence, "And yet to have come so far, still bearing the Ring, the hobbit has shown extraordinary resilience to its evil."

"It is a burden he should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Frodo." Gandalf turns to Lord Elrond with a silent plea. Desert crosses her arms, staring out the deck to the Rivendell Gate.

"Gandalf, the enemy is moving. Sauron's forces are amassing in the east-- his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman you tell me has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin."

"His treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Saruman has crossed orcs with goblin-men; he's breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army that can move in sunlight and cover great distances at speed. Saruman is coming for the Ring."

Elrond shakes his head, "This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!" Gandalf moves away, deep in thought.

"Gandalf, the Ring cannot stay here." Elrond frowns at the wizard. Desert and Gandalf see Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli arrive at Rivendell. "Mellon nin..." Desert whispers incoherently, staring at the blonde elf as Elrond continues.

"This peril belongs to all middle earth. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over-- my people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches-- they care nothing for the troubles of others."

"It is in Men that we must place our hope." Gandalf mentions, turning back to Elrond.

"Men? Men are weak. The race of men is failing. The blood of Numenor is all but spent. It's pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of men the Ring survives. I was there Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago... Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of men failed. I led Isildur into the heart of Mount Doom, where the Ring was forged, the one place it could be destroyed. It should've ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure."

Elrond sighs, "Isildur kept the Ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of men. They're scattered, divided, leaderless."

"There is one who could unite them, one who could reclaim the throne of Gondor."

"He turned from that path a long time ago. He has chosen exile." Elrond grumbled before turning to Desert, "Willow Maid," The young woman turns to him, "Prepare yourself for tomorrow. These Men would not appreciate seeing you for the meeting."

"But-"

"He will recognize you. I am sure of that." Elrond reassures her, "Wait to speak to Legolas in the morning."

"Yes, Lord Elrond." Desert walks out of the room into her own, only to see Arwen sitting on her bed, "You seem excited." Desert chuckles at her statement, "Can you help get me ready for tomorrow's meeting?"

Arwen nods her head, "Of course."

The following morning, at the Council of Elrond, Gandalf, Desert, and Frodo along with a congregation of Men, Elves, and Dwarves sit in a semi-circle around a stone pedestal. The Dwarves and Elves have been giving each other nasty looks as they walked by. The Men glared and whispered to each other, wondering why a woman was in the council meeting.

Elrond notices the tension and stands up to begin the meeting, "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate-- this one doom." He gestures to the pedestal, "Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."