21. You'll Never Leave Me

When I get to the theatre the next morning, there's a tension in the atmosphere, and I don't know why. It's not helped by the fact I arrive on my own, no Ricky and no Minnie. We're playing a small theatre near to the beach. It's just us on first, still bottom of the bill, then two other acts and then Ricky. We'll back Ricky on a couple of numbers, but he'll do most of it solo with the band. Apparently it's sold out, the last remaining tickets snapped up in the time since Ricky and I became engaged. We were supposed to be here early to rehearse, plus there's a magazine coming in for an interview. I'm late. Really late. The journalist, a woman in her forties, and their photographer are already there when I arrive.

'Oh,' she says when I walk in. 'Isn't your fiancé going to be accompanying you?' She's obviously disappointed.

'Um, he might be along in a little while,' I say, buoyantly. 'He's with our manager, Maurice Bewley, at the moment.' At least, that's my best guess. I don't actually know where he is.

After John and George left last night, Minnie and I sat up talking until past one o'clock in the morning. When I went to bed, Ricky hadn't come back yet. I was already asleep when he did. I have a hazy memory of it - but I must have gone back to sleep straight away. I can't remember if he said anything.

I walk past the journalist towards the twins, rolling my eyes to show our shared frustration that all anyone wants to ask us about is Ricky, but I stop abruptly when I see them. Bet glares directly at me, but Cat won't look at me at all. There's a sombre expression on her face which is so out of place, it's ten times more dramatic than her sister's scowl.

'Where's Minnie?' Bet asks.

'She's a little under the weather this morning,' I say, holding my false smile in place. 'She'll be here for the show tonight, but she's going to rest this morning.'

'A little under the weather' is a terrible understatement. Minnie's not really doing very well at all and I'm worried about her. I'm only here now because she insisted I came. I didn't want to leave her on her own. When I went into her room this morning, she was just lying on her bed, staring at the wall. Her eyes looked bloodshot and her face was so pale.

'What are you doing?' I asked her.

She shook her head, snapping herself out of her reverie. 'I was just thinking,' she said, sounding distracted still.

I sighed and sat down on the end of her bed. 'Min, I really think we should tell the police about this -'

'No,' she cuts me off. 'No, Han. I just want to forget all about it.'

'You look like you haven't slept a wink,' I said gently. 'It's not just going to go away.'

'I'll deal with it,' she said, dully. 'Just give me some time.'

'Minnie...'

Minnie only closes her eyes, turning over and pulling the bed cover over herself. I move round to the other side of the bed so I can still see her face. 

'We've got to be at the theatre,' I said, although the last thing I felt like doing today was singing.

'I can't,' Minnie said, quietly. 'I can't go.' She opens her eyes again and seeing my face adds, 'I'll be there tonight, but right now, I just want to... get some sleep.'

I sigh, not sure what to do. 'I'll stay too then.'

'No, you go. Tell them I'm bit poorly, but I'll be okay by tonight.'

'I don't... I don't think I should leave you on your own.'

'Hannah, I'll be fine,' she says flatly. 'I'm not going to do anything. I just need to get myself together again and then I'll be alright.'