I'm not leaving you

Audrey seems different today

Odd.

Like there's something up with her, a feeling she just can't shake.

I woke up from hearing her yelling and crying yesterday, I didn't question it.

I knew if she wanted me to know she would tell me.

She knew I had woken up, I've always been a light sleeper.

You have to be a light sleeper if you're going to survive at the facility.

"What do you think they're gonna do with Alina?" Audrey suddenly asks, not looking at me.

I sigh, my hands shaking. "Probably something terrible. All because of me." I bite my tongue, tasting the coppery tang of blood.

"Hey, stop that." Audrey tells me, noticing it.

I've done it for years now but she tries to stop me, saying it's a bad habit to fall into.

"And stop blaming yourself. You did what you could. Whatever happens now is inane de's fault, not ours." She tries to assure me but I don't believe her.

If I was just stronger. I could've been stronger. I need to be stronger next time.

I though I was done with the Tames. I thought I was over it.

I didn't miss them, I didn't want them, I didn't spend my time thinking about them.

It was fine, it was managed, I had moved on.

Until I had to see them again.

Everything inside of me just ripped open when I saw them.

When I saw Athena. I just wanted to hug her, to cry, to tell her I loved her and I missed her.

But I couldn't.

They aren't my family anymore and I need to remember that.

I need to protect my current family. Audrey and Alina.

They're the most important thing in the world, and I failed them.

How can I get us out of this?

I got us into this mess, I need to get us out.

"I can see the wheels in your head spinning, Halls." Audrey tells me, grabbing my attention.